Rental Inspection

3 Replies

Hi all!

Settling on a single family investment property in early September and one of the settlement contingencies from the lender is "Evidence that you have registered the property with Baltimore County as a rental unit."

This is problematic because before rental inspection (required to register as rental), I need smoke alarms installed and presumably a few other minor things taken care of. I imagine that I can't work on the house prior to actually owning it. My realtor was also confused by this requirement and stated that she has never heard of a rental inspection being completed prior to a settlement.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation or have familiarity with standard protocol. This is in Baltimore County.

Thanks as always!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Talk to the county- it sounds to me like you would simply register the property as a rental, so that they could schedule an inspection for a date sometime after you close.

Kelly

We had to pass fire/smoke detector inspection prior to sale and  settlement in almost every place we have purchased so I would not expect smoke detectors would be an issue. Other things it may depend on your area but the smoke detector requirement is something that was present for houses in RI, MA, NJ. You had to have something from the fire marshall before sale.  Other than that have you looked into what rental registration requires.   If you register is inspection immediate , 30 days?  do they just want an application?   

Thank you guys!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you