Do you disclose you're an agent if you're marketing out of state?

13 Replies

I'm working through my license. I live in Indy and will be licensed here. However if I'm marketing in St. Louis do I need to disclose on that marketing that I'm an agent? I would imagine yes. But just checking. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

Ryan - are you and the property in the same jurisdiction (the one where you are {soon to be} licence)?

If so, I would expect, Yes to be the answer regardless of where you market.

1(506) 471-4126

@Roy N. I will be licensed in Indiana but I also market in Missouri which is approximately 2 states over and 406km away. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

I don't' see why you would have to disclose in another State.

I  would suggest asking your instructor that is teaching your course.

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

@Roy N. I will be licensed in Indiana but I also market in Missouri which is approximately 2 states over and 406km away. 

Ryan:

Is the property also in Indiana?  Then I would expect you must disclose regardless of whether you market in Indiana or Idaho.

If the property were in Missouri, and you were marketing in Missouri then you may not have to disclose since you are not licensed there ... but ethically, you might want to disclose just the same.

It would be a good question for your test ;-)

1(506) 471-4126

Hmmm that's a good questioned. If you're not licensed in Missouri, I don't see why you would have to tell a possible Missouri seller that you're licensed in Indiana. However, like @Shawn Holsapple said, check with your professor. And then report the findings on here so we can know lol!

(317) 258-4989

You should absolutely discuss this with the broker that will hold your agent's license before you do anything else.  You may also discuss with your instructor, but the person that is most at risk by your failure to disclose properly (besides you) is your broker.

In my opinion, there is not any harm in disclosing, their is potential harm in NOT disclosing.  Why risk it?  I am licensed in NY.  I disclose in my first conversation to get it out of the way.

@Ryan Dossey   as you know I buy property in multiple states and I am a broker in 3.  I only disclose I am a broker in the states I am licensed.. there is no requirement to disclose in states your not licensed in.. there is no moral or ethical objection to this either..

However asking your supervising broker in your state can't hurt any.

Legal Disclaimer: I am a licensed Mortgage Originator in IN, FL, OH anything I say may not be applicable to other states. NMLS#1157855.

General rule of thumb if you are licensed than over disclose not under disclose. Do you really want to risk your lively hood over a few extra words? I don't.

Originally posted by @Aleks Gifford :

Legal Disclaimer: I am a licensed Mortgage Originator in IN, FL, OH anything I say may not be applicable to other states. NMLS#1157855.

General rule of thumb if you are licensed than over disclose not under disclose. Do you really want to risk your lively hood over a few extra words? I don't.

EXACTLY!  Thank you for saying that.  Having a license is viewed by many as an obstacle.  It has never been one for me.

@Ryan D.

In you were buying in Nevada, you are required to disclose you are an agent per NRS 645.252(c). The standard Realtor form also has a specific field to detail which state that license is from. This applies if you are a principal, related to the principal, or have some other interest in the property. 

I would be surprised if most other states were not setup the same way. I would check with your sponsoring broker, but I don't see the harm in disclosing. If you're dealing with distressed properties, this may even be seen as an advantage - makes you look more legitimate. 

-Christopher

Christopher Brainard, Real Estate Agent in NV (#177490)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.