What is considered a good cash flow on a 3 unit building?

4 Replies

Im speaking more on the cash flow side of things once all expenses are paid.

I heard a few different rules of thumbs in regards to 3 and 4 units, but i can't find my notes.

It seem like I remember taking a course and someone mentioning 800-1200 is pretty good.

the property is a really nice brick building in a decent area; built in 2002; attached garage parking for all units.

Nevertheless, i am purchasing the 3 unit for 136k

I feel that I can rent each unit for 900

The taxes just went up 35% to 7600 which cut into my profits. (It sits on 2 lots;hence the ridiculous taxes)

total debt service is about 1500/month

it seem to work out even with the increased taxes, but I wanted another set of eyes on the deal. 

@David Bridgewater

Your asking a completely subjective question. Some people are happy just covering expenses, while others maximize cash flow.  This really all comes down to one question.  What is the minimum dollar amount that you are comfortable walking away with each month, and how close is that spread with rising costs?  I wish I could give you more, but there are so many factors like @Brie Schmidt previously stated.

Medium avellino white copy  jpg Brandon Ingegneri, Avellino Const. & Property Mgmt. | [email protected] | 401‑301‑5528 | https://www.avellinocpm.com | RI Contractor # 41301

hard to say without more info.  For myself, I would be satisfied with $1K a month profit.  But did you really account for all expenses?  I am surprised a 136K house can get a 900 rent....nice neighborhood.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you