What is considered a good cash flow on a 3 unit building?

8 Replies

@David Bridgewater - We need more information. Okay would be 1% return - great would be 2%.

Im speaking more on the cash flow side of things once all expenses are paid.

I heard a few different rules of thumbs in regards to 3 and 4 units, but i can't find my notes. 

It seem like I remember taking a course and someone mentioning 800-1200 is pretty good.

the property is a really nice brick building in a decent area; built in 2002; attached garage parking for all units.

Nevertheless, i am purchasing the 3 unit for 136k  

I feel that I can rent each unit for 900 

The taxes just went up 35% to 7600 which cut into my profits.

total debt service is about 1500/month 

it seem to work out even with the increased taxes, but I wanted another set of eyes on the deal. 

@David Bridgewater - The numbers look good until you factor in that CRAZY tax bill! Is there any potential for appreciation? If not - I would not be interested from a cash flow perspective because you won't have much...

David Bridgewater I like those numbers one a newer place a lot. Can't believe those are your taxes. I love Indiana.

Although its a pretty decent area, the appreciation appears to be minimal. Thanks for the feedback. 

The property actually sits on 2 lots, hence to ridiculous taxes. 

@David Bridgewater

What is your vacancy? repair? utilities? management?

You are missing too much information for us to give you an answer.  

My required return in an area where I expect no appreciation is vastly different than an area that is appreciating.  You might want to try inputting the data into the BP calculator so you can see the whole picture.  

http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investmen...

Man that's a pretty loaded question.. If you're not familiar with the concept of a discounted cash flow model, give it a Google. It's not simple addition, but not rocket surgery either. Take some time to get to know the formula and the underlying concept. The question you asked is: what is good cash flow.. I believe that has to be balance against any other savvy investment you might make. I think it should also be expressed as a percentage of what you put into the property instead of simply a whole dollar amount. For instance, if you get 500$ per month and put nothing down, I think that's better than 1000$ per month when you invested 70K. Also, when I consider my cash flow, I include depreciation and tax deductions, but not potential appreciation. Best of luck on your purchase.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.