Negative Cash Flow

2 Replies

Since joining bigger pockets I have run my three properties through the rental calculator and one of my houses is showing a small negative cashflow. IRO 40 euros per month

I'm based in France and bought the property 1 year ago with 100% bank mortgage - no cash down. The tennants more than cover the mortgage, taxes and most other costs. However using bigger pockets calculator I see once I include vacancies at 7,5% and improvements then I'm showing a neg cashflow.

I bought the house for 80000 euros including all fees and if sold now would not cover these costs. In France there are 10 - 15% costs to add to the property price to cover buyers costs. So will be at least  year 3 before I have any equity.

So in this instance I can see the only sensible thing to do will be to hold the property at least till year three and maker a wiser choice next time only choosing a positve cashflow property.

Have read various negative cashflow posts and see a big no no - however where no cash is put down do you feel this is still the case - understand if all my future investments do this then cumlative effect could be a problem however if one or two properties do this in a bigger protfolio they will still produce long term equity so maybe worth holding?

Any thoughts appreciated as very new to this. Bought my first 3 properties with my builders head on and only now finding out about the facts and figures.

One of the considerations you should make is Exit Strategy. If you have 100% leverage and no equity you have no way out of that property, and since it is negative cash flow, holding is not very attractive.

My first property was that way. I have good income so I just paid the extra as needed and over time the rents went higher and the property appreciated. Now it is a fine property in my portfolio. I went with the longer term approach and it worked well. I could have sold it and broke even, but I didn't have time to look for another property.

Welcome to the site :) I was in France last year and the year before (I lived in England for 4 years). Such a beautiful country!

@Jon Boella  negative cash flow house with expected vacancies and cap ex isn't a huge no-no IMO... It just means you have to be very diligent with filling it and keep fingers crossed that there are no repairs.. I have a property that cash flows $5 dollars a month and was in a similar situation... Obviously, we aren't here to loose money but with analysi those are averages and long term expectations. Monitor it very very closely but don't stress about it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.