Advice in Cook County, IL

9 Replies

I'm looking into purchasing a rental property in Cook county but i've heard that it is not a very investor friendly area.  As a result, i've been also looking into neighboring counties.  Can anyone share their thoughts/experiences being a landlord in Cook county vs other neighboring counties?  Thanks.

All I know is Cook County.  It sucks.  So the great stories of getting people out in a  month or two I never pay attention because I know that's not the case here.  In the city of Chicago I know its tough as hell to get people out.  In the suburbs it all depends on the local courts. Mine for example, I know from experience there are two judges.  One is tough as hell and the other one its black and white.  Do you or do you not owe this person X amount of dollars.  Ok, you have two weeks to get out.  Thank you.  The other judge looks for any reason to throw your case out even if the tenant doesn't show us!  So what I did was I sat through a couple of days of her cases.  I saw which lawyers she was nice to and I got their business cards and use them now when I have her.  It's bs but that's the way it is.  Then the sheriff process is a whole another story.  Us landlords can be mad or complain at the court system but everybody should hate and complain about the sheriff process.  Depending on the time of year they can be backed up for 3 months just for them to come out after you went through your court bs.  

Anyways, I don't have time to complain about the rules.  Just learn them and play the game.... Where I deal, I can't get the cash flow I get anywhere else. 

Originally posted by @Edward Mccracken :

All I know is Cook County.  It sucks.  So the great stories of getting people out in a  month or two I never pay attention because I know that's not the case here.  In the city of Chicago I know its tough as hell to get people out.  In the suburbs it all depends on the local courts. Mine for example, I know from experience there are two judges.  One is tough as hell and the other one its black and white.  Do you or do you not owe this person X amount of dollars.  Ok, you have two weeks to get out.  Thank you.  The other judge looks for any reason to throw your case out even if the tenant doesn't show us!  So what I did was I sat through a couple of days of her cases.  I saw which lawyers she was nice to and I got their business cards and use them now when I have her.  It's bs but that's the way it is.  Then the sheriff process is a whole another story.  Us landlords can be mad or complain at the court system but everybody should hate and complain about the sheriff process.  Depending on the time of year they can be backed up for 3 months just for them to come out after you went through your court bs.  

Anyways, I don't have time to complain about the rules.  Just learn them and play the game.... Where I deal, I can't get the cash flow I get anywhere else. 

I am new to Chicago area. So where are the good places to deal, or where do you deal?

@Jorge Poveda There are down falls to invest anywhere and Cook County has their share but with understanding the downfalls and investing accordingly you can work around the issues.  Cook County eviction system is rough as already mentioned here but that only makes us screen harder to ensure we don't end up in court.  For us we buy buildings that may be occupied and those are the only tenants we ever have to file for eviction on but we do cash for keys when ever we get the chance.   Offering a tenant $1500-$2000 to be out next week vs eviction charges being $1200 and waiting 90-120 days is well worth the up front cost to take back possession.  

Even with the upcoming property tax hike(or talks of) Chicago property taxes are pretty low at this point so isn't the end of the world.  If it is a means to fix the larger issues we are all for it. At the same time push harder to contest your taxes. Suburb Cook County has higher taxes but still lower than DuPage. @Trevon Peracca

Mark Ainley, Real Estate Agent in IL (#471.003954)

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

@Jorge Poveda I invest in cook county and have no issues with it, but I follow the rules.  

People make it out to be a big deal and IMO it isn't at all.  Read the RLTO, see if you have issues with it, if so then don't buy in cook county.  Personally, it would not stop me from investing here

Brie Schmidt, Real Estate Agent in Illinois (#471.018287) and Wisconsin (#57846-90)

In case anyone on BP is unaware, when you acquire a property via tax deed in IL, you DO NOT need to go through eviction (forcible entry & detainee) court. The judge who issued the order for tax deed will also enter an order for possession rather routinely. The new owner must still place the order with the Sheriff but the total time to eviction (if even needed) is much shorter. This is one the attractive attributes of tax deeds. 

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you