• Investor
  • Chicago Area, IL
Votes |
Inadvertant Invester

Craig J.
  • Investor
  • Chicago Area, IL
Posted Sep 15 2015, 13:09

I own a house in a suburb of Chicago. I owe about $158,000 on a house that is probably worth about $170,000. I originally put up the house for sale about 7 years ago when the market crashed and it didn't sell. After 2-3 years of sitting mostly empty (I racked up a lot of debt during this time), I found a found a renter. He has been there a lot longer than expected and doesn't want to move. I am currently charging him $1400 per month which covers the mortgage and taxes, but that is about it. I am trying to decide what to do with it. I have been just claiming it on my normal taxes.

1. Should I sell it to anyone who will take it off my hands? Thinking it would be another investor, else I would have to kick out tenant, update it and market it. I don't really want to lose more money on property. If I sell do I try to do it by owner, agent, Craigslist, reach out to REI groups?

2. Should I refinance? Currently at 6% rate, I would have done sooner, but I didn't intend to keep property this long. Originally the tenant was only going to be there a year. Plus the high debt has kept me from doing this. I am just getting on top things now. It would give me a little more positive cash flow.

3. Start a REI company, try to refinance and roll this property into that and try to add another property?

I am open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Thank you.

Craig

Loading replies...