Have a family member who owns a lot in Pennsylvania and doing some research to help him. The lot is part of a community with about 157 homes in the community in PA.
1) If we wanted to send a postcard to each of the 157 home owners in the community where the lot is located presently and offer them a raffle chance of $100 to owning the lot is this legal to do this and what is the best way to handle this legally if this is allowed
2) If the lot does not pass the perk test - what suggestions do you have on what to do with the property can i still offer a raffle on the property and what other ideas do you have at least get some money out of it
Why not market and sell for them? Even if you just list it on something free like LandWatch to get the phone ringing with interested buyers?
By only targeting that small local list you are missing a ton of interested buyers. Now with resources such as Google Earth we can really get a great view of properties. I have had many sales with out of state buyers, that never see the property until months after they own it.
Hope this helps! Jill
Im guessing that lot isnt very desirable due to your raffle idea..but try the neighboring owners first..they might need or want more room
1. Ask an attorney
2. If perk test fails, I'd check zoning and perhaps HOA? and find out what it can be used for. Then see answer 1.
Also, seriously, see #1. I've seen writing contests for properties but never a raffle which would (in NYS) be considered gambling (games of chance) and also involving US Postal service which gosh they have rules about all sorts of stuff you can/can't do via mail. I know there are specifics about games of chance in NY in general but I suspect if it involves RE you're getting into all sorts of additional legal issues. So, see 1 so that you don't end up in jail! ;) I assume every state is going to be different in terms of what you can/can't do in terms of a raffle.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
You must be a BiggerPockets member to post on the forums
Join the world's largest, most open Real Estate Investing Community online, 100% free forever!