Economic markers

2 Replies

Hello all,

Does anyone here have experience in the corporate world looking at economic markers of an area? I know that major chains invest in areas where they can make money, so a Costco, Whole Foods, or Trader Joes signifies a neighborhood getting better while a McDonalds, dollar store or oil change place does not. I'm looking to use these as a part of my case for why certain areas are worth investing in. In New Orleans I was on the board of one of our neighborhood organizations, and when approached by Whole Foods they let us know there were requirements for parking, average income, and traffic. 

@ADrian MAnriquez

Making a data-oriented case for a market is always a good idea. For the most part, I think real estate investors around here will look for certain things:

Jobs in the area
Population growth
School districts
Landlord friendly government(s)
Other investment and retail buyers entering a market

There are also 'gut feelings' people have when they're raised in an area or have a lot experience with this. I hear 'good gut feelings' about how Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and Salt Lake City are undervalued, for instance.

Unfortunately, no amount of data can make a case for the area if you don't have a team on the ground. I'd rather invest in a rough area with a good team than the best area with no team. I also think the team/network oriented approach helps to narrow the search.

Those who spend their time analyzing every market find it harder to take action in one of them.

@ADrian MAnriquez

I work as a real estate market analyst focusing on apartment development. PM me if you'd like to discuss anything specific.  

A strong and diverse economy and population growth are definitely important when looking at apartment investment.  Pittsburgh has a strong local economy (tech, education, healthcare, etc) but has very limited population growth. There has been a significant amount of apartment development during the past few years with more on the horizon. The metro vacancy rate is still healthy, I believe below five percent.  Economic markers are important but I think there is sometimes more to the story as @Trevor Ewen said.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.