How to market a property as a real estate agent

17 Replies

i need a good marketing plan as a real estate agent that i can show my seller how i am going to sell his house.  What is a good plan that you use?

Buddy you need to talk to your broker

@Devon Garbus  because there is only one way to market a property besides the mls right? if that were the case it wouldn't matter too much about the agent you choose. 

you must be real smart!

Yeah, isn't that marketing plan called "listing it"?

I know agents that wholesale deals to their cash buyers (privately) outside of the broker relationship, but not marketing such as a Zillow/Trulia posting, etc.  If you market a property to the public without listing it, your broker will not look favorably on that and you may violate state reg's.

Any licensed agent that is involved in wholesaling, flipping, etc. should be doing so with their broker's knowledge and agreement - that way there are no surprises.

Medium wbh square logoDev Horn, We Buy Houses® | [email protected] | 877‑932‑8946 | http://webuyhouses.com/profile/arlington

Devin...

You really need to talk to your broker. If he can't give you an answer to this question switch brokerages.

If you're an agent and you don't know how to market a property, that's like a mechanic saying he doesn't know how to do an oil change. jeez.

@Devin Mann The way you market a property can be very different from property to property. You really need to have an understanding of your overall market, and all the sub markets involved.  In my own market of the DC area....some areas that are hot, open houses are going to have a big effect...and in the not so hot areas they will make zero difference.  Some areas having it advertised in certain magazines or blogs could make a huge difference, and others not at all.  Staging is important is some, but not others.

So what I am getting at is you really need to develop a knowledge of your local real estate market.  You need to understand what sells, how long it takes, what makes something sell for more than market, is selling at more than market even possible, what buyers want in different areas, even what color choices in paint will drive things in different areas....and on and on and on.

If you do not have this kind of market knowledge yet....consider being mentored by another agent or even working on a team till you gain the knowledge of your market.

Medium logo lf re cire box white bboxRussell Brazil, Associate Broker w/ Long & Foster | [email protected] | (301) 893‑4635 | http://www.RussellBrazil.com | MD Agent # 648402, DC Agent # SP98375353, VA Agent # 0225219736, MA Agent # 9052346 | Podcast Guest on Show #192

@Devin Mann first off you should definitely speak with your broker and see what has worked for them in the past. He or she should have a good idea of what to do, if anything, besides listing it on the MLS. Next I would try to link up with other agents in your area and ask them what particular methods have worked for them in a similar situation/area. Best of luck!

@Devin Mann BP is a rough audience. Don't take it personally. Most of the guys here do have your best interest at heart. Don't be discouraged from asking questions because of some of the unprofessional responses you may get. We ask questions because we don't know. The incompetent human being is the one who doesn't know and still doesn't ask a question.

With all of that being said, I agree that you should check with your broker for some guidance on this matter. It sounds as if you are asking what separates you from any other agent. Well only you really know that. Are you going to be shopping this property at networking events? Are you going to be holding top-notch open houses? Do you have a superior local web presence? Do you have superior knowledge of the local market? Are you a considering the PRO membership? You can then market on BP's Marketplace.

I'm pretty sure you can conjure up something. If not, identify an area that you want to get better at and focus, focus, focus all of your efforts in that area.

Here are two threads that will help you.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/87/topics/182...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/21/topics/204...

I wish you the best!!

P.S. Add a picture to your profile. And continue posting here on the forums. Hey that's another way to market yourself!!

Sincerely,

E. Harris

@Devin Mann Pay not attention to the naysayers...everyone starts somewhere, and unfortunately, real estate school only gets you a license, and tells you NOTHING about how to actually do the job. That only comes with experience and a LOT of self teaching and hopefully some training through your broker too. Check out Active Rain and Breakthrough Broker for ideas. The best way to sell a property, though, is stage the house, have PRO pictures taken and create a comprehensive description in MLS. That's the first and most often place the listing will be seen.

Medium buysellinvest.2Dawn Brenengen, Trailwood Realty, LLC | 919‑840‑8692 | http://www.trailwoodrealty.com | Podcast Guest on Show #101

@Eric H. the only guy who knew how to answer the question. thank you.

You being a real estate agent, the question make you look clueless, IMHO, that's why you got responses that may not have fit your actual interest or intent.  We try our best.

"There's plenty of intelligence in the world, but the courage to do things differently is in short supply." ~ Marilyn vos Savant 

Medium wbh square logoDev Horn, We Buy Houses® | [email protected] | 877‑932‑8946 | http://webuyhouses.com/profile/arlington

Devin,

WHO is the seller?

WHY are they selling?

WHAT time frame do they have to sell the asset in?

DOES the asset they want to sell have demand in the marketplace?

You can't build a marketing strategy around a property before building the framework of what the transaction will look like. 

Medium allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty | [email protected] | 678‑779‑2798 | http://www.AWcommercial.com | Podcast Guest on Show #47

@Dev Horn oh okay. So peoples opinions don't change on whether they like to advertise in the news paper or hold open houses?  or knock on 100 surrounding houses?

right.

I have a 89- Step Marketing Plan I use for all me sellers.

Think about what an agent can do to sell a property.

My plan includes: Professional Sign in front yard and at cross street (if allowed), Multiple Pictures / Virtual Tour, Color Flyers, Property specific website, Open Houses, Broker tour, reverse prospecting to local agents, buyer and investor list, Postlets, Zillow, Realtor.com, etc.

Get the idea? - Everything you can do and DO to sell the house. Brain storm and make a list.

Go get'em SOLD

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

I have a 89- Step Marketing Plan I use for all me sellers.

Think about what an agent can do to sell a property.

My plan includes: Professional Sign in front yard and at cross street (if allowed), Multiple Pictures / Virtual Tour, Color Flyers, Property specific website, Open Houses, Broker tour, reverse prospecting to local agents, buyer and investor list, Postlets, Zillow, Realtor.com, etc.

Get the idea? - Everything you can do and DO to sell the house. Brain storm and make a list.

Go get'em SOLD

Why did you stop at 89? IM sure you could of gone to 90.

Medium holton wise property group logo jpegFederico Gutierrez, The Holton Wise Property Group | [email protected] | 440.454.3405 | http://www.holtonwise.com

Marketing is easy, find a top producer in your market and do what they do. If you're just starting off there are a lot of free or low cost ways to get it done. If it's legal in your market partner with a lender and have them split the costs. many of your affiliates will also provide free door hangers to invite neighbors and their friends to open houses. Open house signs have been my most cost effective marketing material, make sure they are branded to you though as generic ones look cheap..... don't neglect online forums via FaceBook and craigslist 

Google Marketing and 4 P's then add the 5th one of persistence!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you