I am purchasing a new building in upstate NewYork. How do convert

2 Replies

I am purchasing a new building in upstate New York. How do I convert it into a Condo? It is  vacant.

A bit confused here. No offense but you should know the answer to that question before purchasing - which is why I'm confused!

Can it legally be converted would be my first question, second would be what's the zoning and permitted use? Is it currently a multi-unit? Condos are regulated by NY Department of State and you have to file all sorts of fun stuff with the AG.

Peek at these then I'd suggest consulting a RE attorney or maybe a commercial RE agent who's got experience with conversion.

COOP Condo Conversion Process

http://www.ncsl.org/documents/environ/NYcondo.pdf

Thank you for responding. Sorry for the confusion. The building was abandoned for many years. They building certificate of occupancy was changed a couple of times by the county. It was a Multi family, then a commercial and now a single family. I am in the process of building a 8700 square foot modular condo in Newburgh and stumbling along  in Port Jervis. I am new to this process.  This is different from my many years enforcing the law.  I am looking for an attorney that is familiar with the area and experience in the process. Thank you for taking the time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you