Buyers Agent: 9 Showings today

18 Replies

Man this stuff is exhausting! 9 Showings today. 

Lessons learned:

Make clients atleast Google Street View neighborhoods. Showed a home today directly across the street from a women's prison. (Note: Also my first time ever being "cat called") 

Map out the homes better. I did a decent amount of driving from one end of town just to go back to the other side.

Bring a flashlight. (Typically in my car just forgot)

Things I'm glad I did:

Brought an Ipad with all of the homes on a document that the client could write what they liked/didn't about each home. (easy to keep them straight)

Brought some bottled water with me. 

Eliminated a few homes that I knew weren't a good fit. (Needed tons of repairs)

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

Man this stuff is exhausting! 9 Showings today. 

Lessons learned:

Make clients atleast Google Street View neighborhoods. Showed a home today directly across the street from a women's prison. (Note: Also my first time ever being "cat called") 

Map out the homes better. I did a decent amount of driving from one end of town just to go back to the other side.

Bring a flashlight. (Typically in my car just forgot)

Things I'm glad I did:

Brought an Ipad with all of the homes on a document that the client could write what they liked/didn't about each home. (easy to keep them straight)

Brought some bottled water with me. 

Eliminated a few homes that I knew weren't a good fit. (Needed tons of repairs)

I will do 10-15 in a day sometimes!  I ALWAYS put all the addresses into google maps and determine the most efficient route before making my appointments.  That way I spend the least time as possible getting from point A to B

@Ryan Dossey Were they all with the same client? I typically limit my clients to 4 in one day. (Sometimes I will go to 5). The reason I do this is because there is no way the client will be able to differentiate between all 9 properties at the end of the day. They will all blend together for them. They will confuse them with each other.

@Russell Brazil

That's a great idea. They were all with the same client. It definitely was a bit much. They are on a time crunch to buy but that's something I will do going forward. 

@Brie Schmidt Great idea! I was KICKING myself as I was driving the same street I'd been down 4 times.

Well we submitted an offer. So we shall see!

Ryan, I also limit my showing to the top 4 homes the client would want to see. I've learned all the same lessons you did today a few years back but I also like to keep some type of allergy friendly snack and candy or gum with me.... lesson learned from being in a car with someone who had bad breath.....

Thanks for posting @Ryan Dossey ! At least it wasn't all for not.  Can you imagine dragging around a buyer all day and not submitting an off because they were undecided or unqualified??  

@Ryan Dossey

My agent and I have "Forgotten Fridays", where we go and look at 1 - 3 "possibilities" which have been on the market >90-days. 

I bring him a coffee and he catches-up on paperwork and scheduling while I wander the properties ... 

Thanks guys for all of the tips/compliments. 

I actually found out today that the seller is looking to purchase 2 rentals on top of this primary residence so it could end up being a great deal!

I never limit my clients to a certain number of showings.  Because I only do investors in a specific area of Chicago there are typically less than 10 properties that they could even consider.  Our market moves fast so if they see a good one today but want to wait until the next set of showings to see if there is something better they could lose out on it.  

Gotta love that deal. Hope all works out for you.

Like @Brie Schmidt , I don't limit the number of properties I show in one day, but I do ask them while we are still in the house if they would consider making an offer on it. "Is this on your maybe list, or do you want to say absolutely no to this property right now?" Not to put pressure on them, but to make them think about it while it is fresh in their heads.

If it is on their maybe list, I ask them to name one defining characteristic of the property. The red walls in the kitchen or the awesome backyard. I write that down on the listing sheet and we go to the next house. If they absolutely don't want to consider it, I ask why and write that down on the listing sheet. So if they bring it up again, I can tell them, "You didn't like that house because it had no backyard, remember?" 

Taking notes while you are in the house makes it easier for them and you to remember later. 

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

Like @Brie Schmidt , I don't limit the number of properties I show in one day, but I do ask them while we are still in the house if they would consider making an offer on it. "Is this on your maybe list, or do you want to say absolutely no to this property right now?" Not to put pressure on them, but to make them think about it while it is fresh in their heads.

If it is on their maybe list, I ask them to name one defining characteristic of the property. The red walls in the kitchen or the awesome backyard. I write that down on the listing sheet and we go to the next house. If they absolutely don't want to consider it, I ask why and write that down on the listing sheet. So if they bring it up again, I can tell them, "You didn't like that house because it had no backyard, remember?" 

Taking notes while you are in the house makes it easier for them and you to remember later. 

Great idea. I did something similar. We used the things they like as "nick names" for the homes. What did you think about the wood faced home? Etc. They really liked the Ipad with pictures of the homes on a document where they could take notes. 

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

When I'm heading out to scout a lot of properties I usually use routexl.com, it's easy to just paste in a list of addresses in the import feature.  It uses the Google maps data but makes it easy to plug in a lot of addresses and comes up with the best route to hit all of them.

Has the price of gasoline outweighed salesmanship?  I haven't done this for a long time but a skill I learned was to show the best house either first or last.  If first then each subsequent house will be compared unfavorably to the first.

Last house will get you Ok,OK,OK ooh, this is nice. 

This also takes the skill of determining what the buyer really wants, not what they tell you they want.

Originally posted by @Patrick L. :
Originally posted by @Ryan D.:

When I'm heading out to scout a lot of properties I usually use routexl.com, it's easy to just paste in a list of addresses in the import feature.  It uses the Google maps data but makes it easy to plug in a lot of addresses and comes up with the best route to hit all of them.

I was looking for something like this. Thank you very much

Originally posted by @Bob Bowling:

Has the price of gasoline outweighed salesmanship?  I haven't done this for a long time but a skill I learned was to show the best house either first or last.  If first then each subsequent house will be compared unfavorably to the first.

Last house will get you Ok,OK,OK ooh, this is nice. 

This also takes the skill of determining what the buyer really wants, not what they tell you they want.

I find often that you really don't know what they want (as they don't) until you have been through a few. This was my first appointment with them. However we did knock a few off the list while we were out just from things I learned.

For me, 75% of the properties do not have interior pictures because they are 3-4 units and usually tenant occupied.  So I don't always know what is going to be the "best" house.  I run a preliminary analysis on what the cash flow will be, but many factors can change that once I see the property.  

I take one day a week and drive my entire list.  Take notes, filter them, and that night, I create the "real list".  Buyers... give them the addresses.  Let them tell you which ones they have  real interest in.  Thats when they get the showings.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here