Fannie Mae deposit

5 Replies

Has anyone ever walked away from a Fannie Mae contract and gotten their 10% deposit back? I have to let a deal go because my exit strategy fell through, but I have a $2100 deposit with them. Is it lost? 

@Charlie Fitzgerald

thank you sir. It is a week before settlement. It doesnt look good but didnt know if there were any loopholes or any thing. For example if i didnt sign the release and they were able to get another buyer fast....

They don't care if you have another buyer lined up for them let alone if they have a backup waiting to take your place.   Your contract is all that matters for your deposit. 

Fannie is by far the most organized and brutal sellers out there.   If your contract doesn't have contingencies to abuse to get your deposit back than you are out of luck.      I'd look over the title policy and hope for a flaw and/or use the remaining time trying to salvage the situation.

Get ready to take this on the chin as part of your learning curve.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you