2 parcels, house on 1 and a portion of another

5 Replies

Hi,

2 parcels are for sale. I outlined in red both parcels. The blue signifies the major portion of the house, the other parcel is listed as vacant but you see a bit of the house crossing over.  This is a corner as well.

As seen by the picture it appears the house sits on 1 parcel and a tiny bit of the other. Both parcels are being sold.

The property is a SFR zoned for Res Multi Fam (RMF5). I checked all the surrounding properties and they too are the same zoning and SFR.

I plan on calling the survey dept and the zoning dept on Monday to ask questions about joining the parcels into one. I'm sure various other questions will arise.

From the perspective of buying, there would be a survey for each parcel in addition to tile work (ie search, etc).

I would want to join the parcels into one. All other properties in this area are one parcel. I can't find anything in the public records that shows what happened with these 2 parcels. That will have to be a records search by someone at the office.

Has anyone experience with buying 2 parcels house on 1 and joined them together? If so, did you do it after the purchase, part of the purchase? I'm told by a friend that she and her husband joined their parcels to save on taxes - in their situation - I'm sure that may not be the case for all. My thought would be to later utilize the land as one mass for rebuilding.

Thanks

I am not sure there is much advantage to the cost of joining the parcels into one. I am sure it can be done. Just the only advantage I see is one tax bill and /or perhaps easier to include the vacant land into financing. 

I guess I'm thinking long term of the potential to rebuild a MFR duplex rather than the house that currently resides on the land.

I see your in FL.  I'm in bay county FL if I own two adjacent parcels I always join them as the taxes are always lower.  For example thier is a $150 storm water assessment per parcel $22 masqueto control ect.  It's easy up here just go down to property apraiser and fill out a form, they don't require a survey or any title work, assuming similar in gainsville.  Hope this helps, oh and Go Noles!

oh forgot you can always go back and separate them later, then you might need a survey if they aren't in plates lots and blocks, good luck,

Hi @Cameron Skinner

I was just up in Panama City at the beach for the Jazz festival. My first time up there and it was very nice.

I wouldn't think all those costs just to "on paper" join parcels. ?!? My idea was that down the line I would demolish the existing house and build a MFR since it's zone for that. And as you said, joining them to reduce the taxes are what I was thinking would be beneficial.

From the looks of the appraiser site I wonder if the one parcel could be sold without the other since the house crosses over to the 2nd parcel. The seller is selling both and it was sold to the seller as both when they purchased it. So I'm thinking they have to go together.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.