Kansas City Property Managers and their poor performance

11 Replies

Is anyone else having major issues with KCMO property managers? We are on our third in 18 months and I'm losing faith. The overall lack of communication we receive as clients is less than desirable and some firms struggle with even basic math. 

Our second PM firm was $5,700 out one month and it took them 43 business days to respond to our questions, and that was after MAJOR prodding. 

Any advise? Or are we simply expecting to much and should sell up and open a coffee shop instead?

Cheers

@Ben Savage sorry to hear the troubles you're facing with some PM's.  This is something I'm worried about investing out there myself.  Care to share who the company's are, so hopefully some of us will not run into them. 

I've had to fire 4 KC property managers.  Now we do the property management ourselves and things have gone a lot better.  If we hadn't, we would have not been able to sustain the company and would have wound up giving the houses back to the bank. 

The problem isn't isolated to the KC market.  I can tell you first hand that it was (is) even worse in Birmingham, AL.  The key to successful rentals is good property management, and it does seem to be the hardest piece of the team to have success with.  It's not easy!

@Ben Savage - We're over 1,200 miles away.  Never say never!  :)  We do use local realtors for rental lease up and as-needed tasks, and local contractors for repairs.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

Most of our tenants use Chase Quick Pay to send us rent electronically (as we use Chase as our main business bank).  There is no cost to either party.  We do have one tenant who is old-fashioned.  They send us a check in the mail every month.

We send all of our rent bills and almost all correspondence by email.  If something is very important we will send it in the mail as well (assuming the tenant does not have access to a fax machine).

It goes pretty smoothly now that we are controlling the whole situation from the start.

Thanks Dawn.

Food for thought :-)

That honestly sounds like a dreamy situation in comparison to the mess that we have encountered and continue to encounter. The overall lack of professionalism in KCMO on the PM front is spectacular. It could almost be a bad reality TV show. 

Originally posted by @Ben Savage :

Thanks Dawn.

Food for thought :-)

That honestly sounds like a dreamy situation in comparison to the mess that we have encountered and continue to encounter. The overall lack of professionalism in KCMO on the PM front is spectacular. It could almost be a bad reality TV show. 

I use a local smallish PM company that is currently managing around 300 doors that I am pretty satisfied with.  I mean they are honest, reasonably responsive, and do what they are contracted to do.  Do they delight and exceed expectations - not really - but my situation sounds 500% better than yours.  I get replies to emails and they answer the phone between 9 and 5 most of the time (weekdays only).  I will give you a referral to them if you share some information with me regarding your experiences.  I also manage a couple directly.  Also I use my own contractors for some maintenance work and they are fine with it.  

Cliff

@Ben Savage - I understand fully, believe me!  Have been there and done that.  As I mentioned previously, the taking over of the PM duties was out of necessity and not really choice.  If we hadn't, all of our houses would have been given back to the bank way before now.  I am happy to say that all of ours are currently rented and stable, at least at the moment!  Never give up, and you can work through the mess.  If I can do it (single mom from 1,200 miles away), you can too!