• Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
SKIN IN THE GAME- WHAT SKIN?

Toyin Dawodu
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Riverside, CA
Posted Nov 21 2015, 07:05

As the number of investors swell, so do the number of "so called hard money lenders" Since the recession, a lot of hard money lenders, or as I will call them, "pretend hard money lenders" ask you this question. How much skin do you have in the game? WTF?

This is the most irritating question I get from these so called hard money lenders. The reason I go to a hard money lender is because I do not want to personally qualify or put my money in the deal. My first question to the hard money lender that asks the question is what do you mean? "Skin in the game?" I found the deal, didn't I? Don't you think my cost of finding a deal that is worth $190,000 ARV and I am buying it for $106,000 is enough skin in the game?

Usually the so called hard money lender will respond, “But I still want you to put some of your money in the deal. At this point, I just hang up on the lender, "gently"

The reason we are investors is to find good deals and have others come to the party and share in our fortunes. So if I am giving a hard money lender some business that makes sense, it is irritating for the hard money lender to be harassing me with "skin in the game baloney." After all, that is why you are a hard money lender. If I wanted to put more skin in the game, I would have gone to my bank.

Please chime in, fellow investors. Do you think these hard money lenders have a right to call themselves hard money lenders when they behave like traditional banks?

I have done over 400 deals, and rarely do I put any skin in the game besides finding the deal. I consider that my skin.

By the way, I found a lender who financed the above recently closed deal by loaning me $120,000. With an after repair value of $190,000, his LTV is 63%. After paying loan costs and other escrow fees, I walked away with $7,545 in my pocket for buying the property. When I exit in 90 days, there's at least another $40,000-$50,000 waiting for me. So why would a reasonable lender ask me to put money down loan to me money on a 63% LTV property? That is my question to you fellow investors. Are these hard money lenders for real or are they just pretenders? Let me have your thoughts.

Loading replies...