Which place (in US) would your recommend for turnkey investments?

23 Replies

Looking to get my feet wet by investing around $100k. Which markets would you recommend? NJ,PA,NYC & Florida seem most appropriate for me since I live in the east cost. That said I am willing to explore other options. Of the states I mentioned which state & city would be most appropriate? Florida?

this is a loaded question. Be prepared for every turnkey provider and affiliate to tell you why you should invest in their market. 

What does $100k get you in NYC? 

Depending on what your goals and criteria are will also determine what markets will fit you best. 

You could use your $100k to do conventional financing and get 3 to 4 solid homes in some great markets. 

Who is gonna be the first to jump in and try and sell? 

Special note: I'm a realtor in Austin, Texas, so I'm a bit biased.  

I'd look for cities with the following:

1) High Wages

2) Growing Population

3) High Tech Employers 

4) AND... drum roll.... moderatly affordable homes.  This allows you to buy into the market (as compared to NYC) AND a place that has potential to appreciate.  

5) Cash Flow and Capital Appreciation.  One without the other will never win long term. 

Best of Luck and let me know if you have questions about the Austin market. 

Agreed with the statement above. That question can go in many directions. It really comes down to what your goals are. Some markets maybe better inlined for what you are looking to achieve.

I'd look for cities with the following:

1) Landlord/business friendly

2) Job Growth

3) Population Growth

4) Steady appreciation in property values

5) Affordability(personal preference)

6) Macroeconomics

I would look at upstate New York, Pennsylvannia, and Ohio. Cheap houses in stable areas that are driving distance to where you live. NYC is a terrible place to invest overall. Texas has appreciation but little cashflow because its a borderline bubble down here not to mention high insurance and taxes.

@Bob Roach if your goal is to buy SFR's then I like the big Island of Hawaii.

No HVAC no air conditioning  very basic homes that are easy to maintain.

plus you get to go there to check them out.  Also Hawaii has some awesome tax energy credits.

Of course I might be a little biased since I in Maui right now looking at the beach and waiting for our turkey dinner. 

Its all about the team at the end of the day though if you want it all done for you

@Bob Roach

Of the states you mentioned I would say NJ since that is where you already live and it would be beneficial for you to purchase in your own back yard to learn the ups and down of Real Estate investing but I am not sure if I have ever seen a turnkey provider in NJ. 

Originally posted by @Bob Roach :

Looking to get my feet wet by investing around $100k. Which markets would you recommend? NJ,PA,NYC & Florida seem most appropriate for me since I live in the east cost. That said I am willing to explore other options. Of the states I mentioned which state & city would be most appropriate? Florida?

Check out he Midwest mate,

Ton of value here IMO

Untouched bu hedge funds and the mum and dad investors are still on the sidelines.

Ohio, Michigan and Indiana are my top picks.

Thanks and much success :)

Look no further than Orlando, @Bob Roach. 

Orlando has surpassed NYC is the most visited city in the USA, and is #3 in the nation for job creation, which fuels growth, and growth equals appreciation.

If you like, message me separately and I can send you a summary report on Orlando: "You Don't Know The Half of It"

You'll have a hard time seeing cash flow in FL. Jacksonville, as far as I know, is the only FL city that has any chance of cash flow. NYC will never cash flow for you. PA and NJ have potentials, but it's specific to exactly where you invest. Philadelphia and Trenton are the only two I know of that work. 

@Bob Roach Of the places you mention, I think PA is your best bet.  In particular Philadelphia for proximity to NJ, its very low taxes, and low vacancy rate.

As Ali Boone mentioned Jacksonville is one of the few places in Florida left to still get good cash flow.  As an investor there myself, I can tell you that I have also seen very nice appreciation there as well.  A travel writer also just named the city #1 of the top 5 "secretly cool" cities in the US.  Go figure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/David-Landsel/o-pion...

Central Jersey is a great place to start.  I'm a large operator in NJ, and your first consultation is free.I think you should explore home first before branching out. Peace and good luck. 

Recommend exploring Jacksonville Florida. 

• Florida is landlord friendly
  • Jacksonville can cash flow (noted twice)
  • Jacksonville is projected to be #1 in the nation for appreciation at 5.7% per year over the next 3 years

See the Best and Worst Cities for Home Price Appreciation.  Note that Memphis is #1 on the chart from 2012 to 2018 but when you look at 2015 to 2018, Jacksonville is projected to be #1.  5.7% appreciation has the potential to cover your mortgage payment.