Learning a new language

2 Replies

i want to learn a new language so i will be able to speak with some of my clients better.

what is the best way to do so, while also being able to do it on my own time.

i dont want to hire someone. i am most likely looking to purchase a computer program.

Is Rosetta Stone the way to go? anything cheaper or more efficient?

I've never used Rosetta Stone.  I learned Spanish in high school and have taught myself a little German.  Some suggestions...

Look up the web site of the national radio broadcaster for the "home country" of the target language.  Usually there will be a "learn the language" link, with podcasts to download (back in the day these were broadcast on shortwave radio).

Look up news sites / newspapers for the target language.  The news is usually written to be easier to read, and a lot of times there's a photo that clues you in to what the story is about.  For stories that are covered worldwide (US presidential elections, the Olympics, etc), you will already sort of know what the story is, which can help you fill in the gaps.

If you get any TV channels (satellite or cable) in your target language, watch them with the closed captions turned on.

If you are very familiar with any religious writings (like the Bible, Torah, Koran, Bhagavad Gita, or anything else), look up a version of that in the target language.  Compare the verses you know to what they are in the target language.

This post http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2010/01/koreans-eng... is by a Korean guy who moved to California when he was in 10th grade (about 15 years old), and wanted to improve his English skills beyond what he had learned in public school in Korea.  He describes in detail what he did to learn English.