The Biggest Mistakes You Seen Being Made by First Timers

The Biggest Mistakes You Seen Being Made by First Timers

Real Estate Agent · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 18 votes

Hey guys, absolutely love this site and everyone on it. I'm just about to jump into the Buy & Hold side of REI and just wondering if anyone has any classic mistakes that they would see a first timer like me make consistently.

*Insert a quote about learning from the mistakes of others etc etc.

Would really appreciate the heads up so I can make a smart move into Buy & Hold investing.

Cheers :)

4Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Steve RozenbergPro Member
Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

Never factoring in for problems with maintenance or vacancy issues, buying too many homes in too short of a period without letting any problems work themselves out before buying more. (20 homes in a year and a half, then another 15 over the next 2 years)

I was undercapitalized on my acquisitions and thought that buying more properties and letting the cashflow from the other rentals offset any cash infusions I might need.

Lastly trying to have a cheap business model (Cheap vendors, cheap properties, cheap everything) not the best way to operate because all I attracted were other cheap minded people only interested in taking my money and not having a common goal.

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    10y

    @Jonno Rushbrooknot realizing numbers on paper are not dollars in the bank

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    10y

    Not saving/accounting for unexpected maintenance issues.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10y

    Rationalizing their analysis.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    Getting too emotional and excited about their first deal before being educated - 'rationalizing' it as @Joe Villeneuve points out. Couple that with not realizing there is risk in OPM / over-leveraging and we could have a problem, Houston!  

  • Real Estate Agent · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    BAM! Love the responses and will be sure to keep these at the fore front of my mind when getting emotional or 'rationalizing' a bad deal.

    Thanks @Steve Vaughan, @Joe Villeneuve, @Jacqueline Carrington & @Jeremy Tillotson :)

  • Steve RozenbergPro Member
    Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Never factoring in for problems with maintenance or vacancy issues, buying too many homes in too short of a period without letting any problems work themselves out before buying more. (20 homes in a year and a half, then another 15 over the next 2 years)

    I was undercapitalized on my acquisitions and thought that buying more properties and letting the cashflow from the other rentals offset any cash infusions I might need.

    Lastly trying to have a cheap business model (Cheap vendors, cheap properties, cheap everything) not the best way to operate because all I attracted were other cheap minded people only interested in taking my money and not having a common goal.

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    I had a "previous life" as a landlord which didn't go so well.  Most of my mistakes were "classic" stuff you'll read about here on BP.

    1) Never assume RENT - PITI = PROFITS. I can't say I trust the 50% "rule", but the fact that so many people regard it as a good starting point should tell you something.

    2) Don't be a Nice Guy. I'm not saying you need to be unfriendly, but think of yourself (and conduct yourself) like a good Parent or Schoolteacher or Platoon Leader and NOT as a friend. A lot of tenants, even the "good" people, can make little mistakes that could torpedo your success. A good REI or PM is a good disciplinarian.

    3) Related to  #2 : Always factor in the cost of having a property manager.  If you find being strong and parental isn't your thing, you better be ready to hand off the reins to someone who is.

    4) Don't buy a "fun" project if you aren't an expert.  You might find out that that century-old carriage house in the back yard was built using 17 different kinds of asbestos.  Asbestos : one of the most amazing materials ever for so many, many practical uses...

    5) Have a secure W2 job and a pile of reserves.  Stuff happens.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    DONT believe everything you read and even less of what you hear.

    LEARN TO VALID information before to take action.

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    It is a neat topic Jonno and just a few I have seen or even fallen prey to...

    1. Over remodeling .. Learn fair rental condition in your area/market.. Aim for it , not hgtv show room condition (which may not boost the rent and will quickly get some wear and tear as a rental).. 

    2. Choose a solid building in the right area. Vague, I know. But even the Jedi landlord can't fix a bad neighborhood or inconvenient location, and a defective building will be a drain on time and money....

    3. Get the right processes in place ( for tenant selection, onboarding, maintenance, etc) before you start (yes, refine them along the way, but don't start searching for an application or lease on the way to meet your first potential tenant!)....

    Many more... So read a lot on BP and elsewhere and best of luck... 

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Overpaying!

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Thedford:

    Overpaying!

     This is what happens when you rationalize your numbers.  The numbers don't lie...so never argue with them.  You lose every time.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10y

    Putting too more cash than needed into the deal and somehow thinking this can make a deal that is losing money better...by paying for your loses upfront.

  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    10y

    Thinking you can get a renovation done in three months, and taking 3 yrs instead.  Early on, I thought everything could be done so fast. Now I know better and plan for much longer duration's.

    Another is thinking that prospective tenants can have the same vision as I do.  I used to show occupied units and units that had not been freshened up with painted touchup, cleaning, etc.  Most of my prospective tenants can't see thru the minor issues. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Steve Rozenberg  VERY good post.

    I was on the receiving end of undercapitalized investors.. and Like most of us HML who had substantial loan portfolios pre 07 we came to understand that those with no or little skin in the game are bad risks regardless of their FICO score. Its one reason you see HML now require skin... at lest until they get to know you very well.

    The other thing I see for buy and hold investors is dramatically under estimating operating costs.

    And the one I like the best and the one I have fallen for to many times to count and that is believing and trusting in what tenants tell you  at least with C and low B grade tenants..

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Buying a CHEAP property in a BAD area. The numbers look awesome on paper but BAD areas tend to attract tenants from HELL. There's no amount of return on investment that can justify risking your life to make money.

    I am very open about my worst investment mistake - a mistake newbies and experienced investors alike should avoid and you can listen to it in my podcast - http://biggerpockets.com/show65

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10y

    Here's another one.  Poor analysis. Specifically poor market analysis.  Wait, that's just another example of rationalization isn't it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Steve Rozenberg  VERY good post.

    I was on the receiving end of undercapitalized investors.. and Like most of us HML who had substantial loan portfolios pre 07 we came to understand that those with no or little skin in the game are bad risks regardless of their FICO score. Its one reason you see HML now require skin... at lest until they get to know you very well.

    The other thing I see for buy and hold investors is dramatically under estimating operating costs.

    And the one I like the best and the one I have fallen for to many times to count and that is believing and trusting in what tenants tell you  at least with C and low B grade tenants..

    Absolutely. I get requests for money all the time from new investors with no money and no experience. My general requirement is that the property is already owned by borrower free and clear. I can then lend 60% or so of the value and feel reasonably safe. I have done loans at 50% LTV and still had to initiate foreclosure (that surprised me). Thanks for the post Jay...always enjoy hearing the voice of experience!

  • Real Estate Agent · Highland, UT · Member since 2015 · 407 posts · 272 votes
    10y

    I see first timers decide an area is a good place to invest in without doing their home work. You can't pick a home just because of the price, there is a lot more that goes into it.

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    10y

    Lately I have seen many landlords not require security deposits or just to lazy to reconcile the security deposit. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 249 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    Thinking they will be a millionaire in just a few years with little to no hard work on their end

  • Real Estate Agent · Rancho Palos Verdes, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Ignoring that nagging voice in the back of your mind that somethings not right but going through with it anyways and convincing yourself that it's just typical self doubt and everything will be fine. This applies to marriage as well. 

  • Brownstown, MI · Member since 2014 · 344 posts · 98 votes
    10y

    Don't max out 0% credit cards to do the rehab (or buy a house) if you plan on using your credit to cash out within a month or 2.  I did that.  I had 780+ credit, never missed a payment,  and doing this hammered me below 740.  I paid cards down to 20-30% and scores went back up.   Better off opening 3 or 4 cards and using all of them with 20-30% of the limit than maxing one or 2 out...

    This was a quick lesson in how credit bureaus judge you,  even if you have never been late.   I don't think they know the cards are on promotion 0% either!  

  • Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    10y
    There are so money great mind on BP. I'm happy to be in the mix!
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    thinking that REI is an exact science when running numbers and spending to much time worrying about building their "power team"

    What the heck is a power team anyway?

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    1. Not understanding your market.  It takes time to develop a "gut instinct" about the property and you need to wait until you can do that

    2. (Like others said) forcing the numbers, trying to make them work when they really don't

    3. Not understanding that it can take months to stabilize the property, no matter how ready you think it is.  So make sure you are capitalized for that.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.