Please Help with County Mortgage Records Search :)

12 Replies

Hi there,

When searching the county deed & mortgage website, is there a way to know if a mortgage is a refinance, a first or a second? For instance, I am looking at one property, and the county shows the following mortgage documents:

1998 for $94k (30 year loan)

2001 for $126k (30 year loan)

2003 for $128k (30 year loan)

2003 for $25k ("Revolving Credit Mortgage" - 20 years) 

2011 for $140k (30 year loan)

Here is a link to the county web page with this property's mortgages: http://tinyurl.com/qhdpmp5

So, I am wondering if each new 30-year mortgage was a refinance of the previous mortgage. Is there a way to even know?

And is the "revolving credit mortgage" a line of credit?

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Melissa Searing :

Hi there,

When searching the county deed & mortgage website, is there a way to know if a mortgage is a refinance, a first or a second? For instance, I am looking at one property, and the county shows the following mortgage documents:

1998 for $94k (30 year loan)

2001 for $126k (30 year loan)

2003 for $128k (30 year loan)

2003 for $25k ("Revolving Credit Mortgage" - 20 years) 

2011 for $140k (30 year loan)

Here is a link to the county web page with this property's mortgages: http://tinyurl.com/qhdpmp5

So, I am wondering if each new 30-year mortgage was a refinance of the previous mortgage. Is there a way to even know?

And is the "revolving credit mortgage" a line of credit?

Thanks!

The revolving is likely a line of credit.

Without looking at the records, I would guess that there is a satisfaction somewhere in between each of the mortgages to show that lender was paid off. Do you know for sure these are all on the same property?

When I search and see multiple mortgages, I also see satisfaction/release documents for the mortgage and then look at the next mortgage ( as in your case with your search ) to see the amount.

They may have initially purchased in 1998, refinanced in 2001 to pull money out and the same thing in 2003. 2003 also showed a line of credit ?!? not sure what they got this off of since 2003 also has a mortgage. Can't have appreciated that much in so little time. Then in 2011 it's likely that it did appreciate and they refinanced again.

When I do my searches I use the persons name so that I get the entire history of what they did on all properties. This way I can look at just that property and narrow down the history of it. Is that what you did?

Thanks so much for your response @Daria B. ! I really appreciate it. 

Yes, I search the person's name and make sure to only look at the mortgages for the property in question. 

I search "all" to bring up any and all documents. I think Charleston County might not require or provide satisfaction/release documents.

In case you'd like to see, here is a link to the page: http://tinyurl.com/qhdpmp5

Thanks again!

Originally posted by @Melissa Searing :

Thanks so much for your response @Daria B.! I really appreciate it. 

Yes, I search the person's name and make sure to only look at the mortgages for the property in question. 

I search "all" to bring up any and all documents. I think Charleston County might not require or provide satisfaction/release documents.

In case you'd like to see, here is a link to the page: http://tinyurl.com/qhdpmp5

Thanks again!

I'll see if I can pull up the link information.

I have property in two states and both are paid and I have a satisfaction from both lenders. As I believe all states should record the release/satisfaction from the lender. At the very least, the lender will send the owner a document stating the mortgage was paid off. This is something from the lender and not the local municipality. The local municipality where the property resides will only record the document. 

Originally posted by @Daria B. :

I have property in two states and both are paid and I have a satisfaction from both lenders. As I believe all states should record the release/satisfaction from the lender. At the very least, the lender will send the owner a document stating the mortgage was paid off. This is something from the lender and not the local municipality. The local municipality where the property resides will only record the document. 

I recall this is a RECON or Reconveyance

Originally posted by @J Beard:
Originally posted by @Daria B.:

I don't know those terms. When I paid my mortgages in full I received a satisfaction/release from both lenders.

@Melissa Searing

It appears the first document, though it says MTG I assume for mortgage, is actually a satisfaction document. You need to read through the documents to see if it's a mortgage or if it's another type of document. Apparently, there is nothing prior to 1998 for this person that I could see.  Used the farthest year of 1978.

Anyway, 3rd document is a mortgage acquired from the VA.

Just open the documents and read through them and you will see whether it is a mortgage or satisfied (as stated in the 1st document) document related to a mortgage.

Originally posted by @Daria B. :

I don't know those terms. When I paid my mortgages in full I received a satisfaction/release from both lenders.

Yeah, likely State variations :)  For a certainty, that the title chain and release/reconveyance history is in the County records, as that's where a title company looks to find a 'clean vs clouded' title and any existing liens left during the Escrow processes.

Yeah, likely State variations :)  For a certainty, that the title chain and release/reconveyance history is in the County records, as that's where a title company looks to find a 'clean vs clouded' title and any existing liens left during the Escrow processes.

Oh ok!

1998 for $94k (30 year loan) --- most likely the purchase loan.

2001 for $126k (30 year loan) --- refinance with cash out

2003 for $128k (30 year loan) --- refinance for better rate

2003 for $25k ("Revolving Credit Mortgage" - 20 years)--- most likely a Home Equity Line Total liens $128k + $25k = $153K, Prop. value at that time about $191K.

2011 for $140k (30 year loan) Consolidation of the $128K + Balance of the Home Eq. Line about $12K for a better rate or perhaps another purchase by new owner. Property value based on $140K is about $175K. IT doesn't seem reasonable that the property would have lost value (191-175 = $16K decrease) over the 8 year period 2003 - 2011 so the new 2011 loan is probably a refinance not a purchase.