Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Asim G.
  • Investor
  • Tracy, CA
Votes |
Advice on changing layout. Photo and sketch included in post.

Asim G.
  • Investor
  • Tracy, CA
Posted Jan 14 2016, 13:45

Hi,
I am considering to purchase an SFR as a buy and hold property. The property has an extra room that was added legally, and I want to change the layout of this portion to make it a better value add for myself and and tenant. I have pasted a hand drawn sketch (somewhat to scale) of two adjacent rooms as well as a panorama photo of the area between the jacuzzi and sink s2.

Here is some background on the property.

1. Originally it was a 3/2 SFR. The 2 smaller bedrooms with 1 bathroom (shower/tub + sink + toilet) are on the other side of the living/family area and not drawn below.
2. The room marked original room in the image below was a master suite with attached bathroom. In the original configuration the bathroom had a closet, sink (called s1), toilet, and a shower/tub.
3. When they add the extra room, they tore down the shower and put in sink (called s2). They also added a wall (called w1) to separate s2 from the original bathroom.
4. They also added an exposed jacuzzi in the other corner of the room added.

In the current configuration, this house is a 3 bedroom + 1 den + 2 toilet + 2 sinks + 1 shower/tub + 1 jacuzzi. My minimum requirement is to add another shower (tub or standing) to make the property more liveable. If I could add a closet and get rid of the jacuzzi, that would be a bonus.

Here are the options I have thought of.

1. Get rid of w1 and s2. Replace s2 with a shower/tub and a wall restore the bathroom to its original condition.
2. Similar concept to option 1, but install a small standing shower instead of shower/tub. Add a pocket door to the bathroom so that it is accessible from both rooms.
3. Leave w1 and s2 as is. Tear down the jacuzzi and add a standing shower there.

For any of these options, we can add a closet to the room added to make it more liveable.

What do folks here think of these options. Anything obvious that I am missing. I am looking for the most elegant way of making this property rent ready. I have not done any remodels in my life and I know there are a ton of folks here who can offer some advice.

Thanks

p.s: I would have mentioned some pros on this post, but am not able to mention even folks I am connected to. 

Loading replies...