Phil Harding
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Deeded condo parking space marked "Handicapped"

Phil Harding
  • Portland, OR
Posted Jan 24 2016, 11:05

Hi,

I'm working on a condo deal in a medium sized building in Oregon and all the financials are to my satisfaction, however, I have discovered that the deeded indoor parking space that comes with the unit is marked handicapped. The previous owner was handicapped with associated tags, so it wasn't an issue. However, future occupants are unlikely to be handicapped. Evidently when the building was built they were required to designate a handicapped parking indoors. No other indoor spaces are marked handicap, and none are HOA owned.

Does anyone know if the individual owner of a deeded parking space, who owns only one, is required to maintain it as a handicapped space? By deeded, I mean the deed for the unit says "Unit #X and parking space #Y. The space in question could not be used for guest parking (you need two sets of openers/codes to access it) and there is a handicapped space owned by the HOA outside the building. I certainly don't want my deeded space to become a community space, as parking is at a premium in the neighborhood.

I know one answer is "call a lawyer." I've already hired one to look into this question and will post his respond when it comes, but frankly I trust the collective wisdom here for a practical solution. Thanks for any insights.

Phil

Loading replies...