Discrepancy in advertised lot size and actual lot size

Discrepancy in advertised lot size and actual lot size

Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Hello, I am interested in this property in Seattle, WA.  After doing my due diligence by looking through public records, I have found out that there is a huge discrepancy in the advertised lot size, the tax record size and the actual size by 40%. Apparently,  there was a dispute with a neighbor 25 years ago. The previous owner and the neighbor re- drew the property line. The previous owner sold the property to the current owner without updating any public records. I have not made an offer yet. What is the normal course of action in this case if I were to make an offer? How can I use this information to negotiate the price down?

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Make your offer, contingent upon the advertised size.  If it turns out to actually be different, renegotiate.  The current owner will need to be convinced of the true size first.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.