Rate to charge for selling on a land contract

Rate to charge for selling on a land contract

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 4 votes

I have a house that I have been renting to a very good tenant for 4 years. They have talked wanting to buy the house. They said they missed an opportunity to take money out of a mutual fund to use for a down payment and will need to wait until the beginning of the next year to get it. Their lease agreement will expire at the end of July. I was planning on putting the house up for sale in June with a closing when the agreement expired. They called to me out of the blue to restate their interest in the house. The reason for the sale is to get my money out of the house that is out-of-state and make a nice profit. We talked about a lease-to-own and land contract arrangements. I want to set up the deal so they may be successful at applying and securing a loan so I can cut ties. What are the pros and cons of each deal? What is a reasonable interest rate for a land contract? I have also thought about offering a new one year lease to give them time to get their money together as a simpler solution for the moment.

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    I would just give them another year lease  land contract is just a different form of installment payments. and if it goes bad it can bugger title.

    Although in my opinion many markets are peaking and if you can cash out really easy I would go that route.. that is what I am currently doing with ALL of my rentals. as they go vacant I cash out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.