How about buy a land a put some Airstreams for Airbnb?

15 Replies

I am planning to do an investment on a land in northern california and put some Airstreams do rent on Airbnb. Is it a good/bad ideas? Do they need to be plugged to electricity/water or they can be recharged/refilled? How about the toilet maintenance? Is it legal in Northern California?

Hi @Matt Smith , I'm not an expert on Airbnb investing so take my advice with a grain of salt... I would not pursue this type of investing. Especially using Airstreams as the rental units I think is creative but I think it may be a greater challenge then you think. However, there are books written by investors who are successful at Airbnb investing so I would do your research first using one of the authors and then you can make a more informed decision. Regarding the rules or laws permitting it, just ask your local county and they should be able to let you know what permits you need.

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

@Matt Smith , i would agree with the previous two comments. Do a lot more research first or perhaps, dont go down this road. I have used airbnb a few times myself and i like the concept, however, as a full time business, im not so sure. Im not so certain how many people would even be interested in staying in a trailer. You would also need to be connected to sewer, water, electric and have access to propane as well. Sure, trailers are "self" sustainable so a limited amount of time without all those services, however, then you would have to hook up the trailers and continuously be taking them to dump the tanks, fill with water....

You would basically be building an RV park, but with park owned RVs.   Rather then building from scratch, consider buying one and then add your own trailers.    I think there is a place for this business model, but it is more than a real estate investment.   It's a business with lots of day today work and management. 

I love Airstreams, and own a 1976 31 foot Sovereign Land Yacht,  but I still haven't figured out what I am going to do with it. 

I think the idea is great. I wish I lived in moderate climated and done that. You certainly would have to zone it for RV parking/trailler park.

If you are really into this, I would love to be involved and help you find the info you need. I would invest in this business model. 

Hey Matt,

Love the idea.  I was thinking about doing this in Oregon.  Check out this link.  It may help you.

http://m.7x7.com/play/autocamp-boutique-airstream-campsite-open-russian-river#bmb=1

I would love to talk to you about partnering up possibly.  Let me know if we can work together.  Lets get people who are interested in this thread together to hash out the idea.

Yooch

There are already people doing this on Airbnb. You might look at some of their ads, or even contact them, to get some insight into what works and doesn't work. 

Hi @Yoochul C. @Rafael Floresta and @Matt Smith

It's been 6 months since you guys had this talk. Are any of you still interested? Have one of you managed to pull this off?

I've been doing a lot of research myself to see if I could pull it off. I paid for a service that provides data from Airbnb to see where it would make sense to build such business. I live in Houston, TX with warm weather year round, so my research has only been within the state of Texas.

If any of you are still interested let me know. I'd love to share thoughts or even consider partner up with someone.

You can read more about my case here:
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/530/topics/36...

Considering a new airstream cost north of $ 65,000 ,  when you do damage in a camper it can be a difficult fix .  Start a campground , let your customers supply their own camper . If you laak at some campgrounds , they rent cabins , ones made for campground rental . They are great money makers . ( I was just camping last weekend)  

Originally posted by @Jon Klaus :

You would basically be building an RV park, but with park owned RVs.   Rather then building from scratch, consider buying one and then add your own trailers.    I think there is a place for this business model, but it is more than a real estate investment.   It's a business with lots of day today work and management. 

I love Airstreams, and own a 1976 31 foot Sovereign Land Yacht,  but I still haven't figured out what I am going to do with it. 

I'm just finding this thread after searching BP for this topic and interested in the idea in Colorado.  Any chance you still have that Airstream Jon?  I may be interested in buying it.

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded

Many people rent Airbnb's that are "off grid" in that they don't have access to utilities and other stuff. Most people probably want this though so I would find a way to get it to them in a reliable way. If you can solve that problem, then you need to consider any legal issues. Other than that I'd so go for it.