Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mason Snyder
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Simpsonville, SC
Votes |
Crunching some numbers and thoughts on possible first deal...

Mason Snyder
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Simpsonville, SC
Posted Jul 29 2016, 09:54

I'm still looking for my first deal and I think I may have found it, so once again I'm turning to the BP community to help me make sure I'm making a wise decision.

Here's the situation:

My aunt is moving out of the 3/2 house she's owned in Simpsonville, SC for 11 years. She owes $107k on it. According to Zillow (I recognize this may not be the most accurate source) the house is valued at $132k. Her 20 year old daughter (my cousin) lives in the house and wants to stay and pay rent. She also has one roommate moving in. She's planning to pay $300/mo in rent + utilities (minus water, sewage (appx $50/mo) ) and, if I purchase this house, I plan to charge the second roommate $400/mo. I also plan to fill the 3rd BR with another tenant and charging $400/mo -- so $1100/mo total.

Bc it's investment property (I live out of state) I'm required to put 20% down. My aunt is not placing a premium beyond what she owes - so I'm getting it for $107k. If the Zillow figures are accurate there is $25k of equity which I'm planning to have my aunt write a letter and gift to me that I will use as the down payment on the house. Property taxes are appx $669/year. HOA's are appx $200/year. It's in a great, family friendly neighborhood with a pool and tennis courts.

(Side note - the house is located in my hometown and I'm very familiar with the area. Also - all of my family and friends will reside so I have "boots on the ground")

The A/C went out recently. She has an American Home Shield membership that she believes will cover the repair (after a small deductible). The linoleum floors in the kitchen could also stand to be repaired. These are the only issues I know at this point.

Outside of the A/C I don't plan to make any major renovations while the three tenants are living there. Once they're out I will and will adjust rent rates.

Based on the high level information I've provided - do you think this is a good deal?

Loading replies...