Grand Rapids Investor looking to move into the Muskegon market

35 Replies

I am looking at getting into the Muskegon, MI market both as a contractor & an investor and would like feedback and information on areas/neighborhoods to look at and the ones to avoid. Any rules and regs that the government may have that have created issues with investors or contractors. and just any general information you can give on the market will be appreciated. I am in the Muskegon are frequently but am not from the area and just looking for some basic info. 

My parents have had rentals in Muskegon for over 40 years, and they are trying to get out of the business and retire out of state. They have a few rentals for sale right now, with many more to sell. If you are interested you may message me to get in touch with them. 

Contact Lighthouse Property Management in Wyoming and talk to their owner, Kathy Dennison.  She is every well versed on the area and investing in Muskegon.

Promotion
REI Nation
Turnkey Real Estate
Wondering how to safely invest in out-of-state real estate?
This 40-page eBook is your best resource for safe, profitable, passive real estate investing.
Download Now

Hi! I'm wondering if the OP decided to buy anything in Muskegon and how that worked out? I am a GR investor feeling sorta priced out of GR for rental properties and I am interested in learning more about the Muskegon market. I know to stay out of the "Heights" but other than that, I really don't know the area. Thanks!

@Jackie Botham 

Sorry for the long response time. I have not purchased in Muskegon yet but am still seriously considering it. the area is looking promising so far.  

I recently moved to Muskegon, and I'm very close to purchasing some properties. I have yet to talk to someone who is actively investing in rentals here... But I'd like more info as well. I know certain areas that I would like to target. 

Hello Mr Blain, Ken Scrues here.  If you are still a practicing contractor let me know.  I have a client that can use your skills in Muskegon if you are there.  

Promotion
Sundae
Property Marketplace
Find Professionally Vetted Properties from Motivated Sellers
Eliminate the need to hunt for houses again. We bring your next investment opportunity to you.

Good morning Ken, I am still sidelining as a contractor right now. trying to scale up to full time. I haven't made the move into Muskegon yet, there is still lots of work in GR. I will definitely talk with them and see if it is something that can work out for both of us. i will message you on here with my contact info 

Thanks 

Jason Blain

I know this is an old thread but I am trying to find out if there are any real estate meet up groups still meeting in or near Muskegon. We live just north of Muskegon and would love to get connected with other investors. Thank you!

Originally posted by @Malinda Bender :

I know this is an old thread but I am trying to find out if there are any real estate meet up groups still meeting in or near Muskegon. We live just north of Muskegon and would love to get connected with other investors. Thank you!

I'm in the same boat Malinda. We live in Whitehall and I'm looking to connect with a group in the White Lake / Muskegon area. 

Several of the folks in this thread had been meeting last fall but there hasn't been a meetup in quite awhile. I will reach out to some of the people that were at the past meetings to see if there is interest in getting back together. Possibly next month?? 

That'd be great! I've been searching for deals in Whitehall/Montague, North Muskegon (by Meijer), West Muskegon and East Muskegon (avoiding between 31 and Seaway). My biggest struggle has been not know how to estimate rent in my calculations during analysis. Zillow gives an estimate. Craigslist searches are all over the place.

I'd really like to hear from other investors: 

- What they own (size, bed/bath)

- What they rent for

- Break down of their analysis

- Who their people are (CPA, attorney, agent, contractors, etc)

I'm probably asking for a lot, but I'm willing to reciprocate how I can. 

Nick Smith, you may want to give the local property management companies a call to ask about rent prices. They would have the best idea for specific areas and bed/bathroom combinations. I work with lighthouse property management in Muskegon. 

Hi Joshua- I'm new to BP, I saw your post and am very interested in Muskegon area, spring lake and grand Haven where I currently have rentals is there a way we can chat?