Buying retail vs wholesale / financing

1 Reply

I wanted to get some professional opinions concerning my recent and future real estate transactions. To give you a brief background, I work at a large mortgage company as a loan officer here in the Dallas area. Given the uncertainty of this industry, I have decided to take my income saved and start investing in rental homes to generate some additional monthly cash flow. I currently have a mortgage on my primary residence, 3 rental homes that generate $4,300/month (net $1,500 rental/month), and a 4th property currently under contract and will close here in a few weeks. All 4 of these properties I have been putting 20% down taken from my personal savings, and will have to start putting 25% down once I get to my 7th purchase per Fannie/Freddie guidelines. My goal is to acquire 10 properties before I turn 30 years old (year and a half away), but wanted some insight on other financing as well as finding other solutions for purchasing properties that are eligble for financing at a discounted price. Are there any banks that will extend a line of credit solely based on yearly income and credit scores? This would be ideal if I could purchase with the line of credit then refinance into a conventional 30 year fix without liquidating my personal savings. All 5 of my recent purchases were scooped up on the first day on the market and I am really just looking for any advice to better compete in this aggressive DFW market. 

Hi Jordan,

I'm in a similar situation as you. I am an accountant and a loan officer for a small, local mortgage company, and I currently have my primary residence (with roommates) and 2 rental properties here in the DFW area. I've been funding my 20% from savings, and plan on building up to my 10 Fannie/Freddie properties over the next couple of years. 

Regarding the line of credit question, I'm not really able to help. But I am interested in hearing the answer of someone who may know. My best bet is we would need to just hit up a bunch of local credit unions and see what their lending policies are.

Are you looking to finance 100% with the line of credit? Then refi in permanent mortgage?

I have considered doing some new construction rentals with a construction loan (you draw sort of like a line of credit), then refinancing into a permanent mortgage once the tenant is in place. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.