Short Sale Offer

5 Replies

I've never had any success with a realtor wanting to make an offer on a house listed on the MLS as a short sale... i was wondering if it'd be possible for me to contact the seller directly and make a cash offer (possibly under listed price)... are they bound to sell it after it's listed? Is what i'm asking to do even legal?

Thanks in advance for the input!

what about just reaching out to the actual homeowner to see if they'd take a cash offer so it doesn't get stuck with the banks waffling on the decision?  So in this case, I can see that the homeowner purchased the home for around 150K some years back and today it's listed as a short sale at 199K... could I just send her a letter telling them I could offer her say 175K and she would just sign the home over to me?  

Originally posted by @Jennifer McElliott :

what about just reaching out to the actual homeowner to see if they'd take a cash offer so it doesn't get stuck with the banks waffling on the decision?  So in this case, I can see that the homeowner purchased the home for around 150K some years back and today it's listed as a short sale at 199K... could I just send her a letter telling them I could offer her say 175K and she would just sign the home over to me?  

You do know that "short sale" means that the Seller owes the bank MORE than it's worth, right?

Which means, there is NO avoiding getting "stuck with the banks waffling on the decision"!...

Ok so I must be missing a second or some other loan they took out other than the primary mortgage (b/c like i said, it appears to have been sold for around 150K about 16 years ago and today it's listed at 199K)  

thanks.

Originally posted by @Jennifer McElliott :

Ok so I must be missing a second or some other loan they took out other than the primary mortgage (b/c like i said, it appears to have been sold for around 150K about 16 years ago and today it's listed at 199K)  

thanks.

Yep. Sorry...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here