Renovated Condo but 1930s Fuse Box - buy or run?

1 Reply

I've been looking to buy and have an accepted offer on a pre war condo unit in Jersey City. The place has been beautifully renovated by the current owner (downlights, new modern appliances, upscale bathrooms). However home inspection revealed that the fuse box has not been updated since the 30s, and the fuses are overrated. The building is well maintained but I think it wasn't all updated with the latest wires so getting more electricity lines to the unit would be prohibitive. The outlets in the bathrooms are gfci. However the rest are open ground which a licensed electrician said suggests that they may still be running on old wires and that there may still be knibs and tubes. Permits were obtained by the owner for the renovation and the city signed off on it, but as it is an old building, my understanding is that older setup would still be accepted as they are grandfathered. 

Is this "not a big deal" and part of living in a pre war building, or would most buyers stay the hell away from it?  Will insurance be more expensive than normal? How would you deal with the situation?

@Felicia Kurniawati  

In my limited experience with rehabbing older condos, I have found that in older buildings, the units have fabric-insulated wires and fuse sub-panels. And, as you stated, the fuses are over-rated, i.e. they have installed fuses that are higher amps than the load the wires can take. This is a hazard!

If the seller installed a dishwasher, a dedicated line should have been run from the panel, or they may have used the line from the counter-top. They really should have updated the fuses to breakers. It would be best to consult a licensed electrician on this. 

Your electrician should also determine if there is old knob-tube wiring. Do the wall switches look like this --https://goo.gl/images/1ya1SB

If it is indeed old knob-tube wiring, I would strongly suggest to re-wire the place to code, this includes re-wiring, new breakers and electric panel/sub-panels. Old knob-tube wiring brings tremendous risk to you and other residents. It would also be an issue when you go to re-sell down the road. It just is just not worth the 8-12k it would take to re-wire it to code. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.