Building Triplex/Quadplex "Townhomes" then selling as SFR

2 Replies

I've recently been looking for my first investment, there is a local area that has town homes ( four units in the same building side by side). I spoke to a local real estate agent about purchasing the whole "building" with my intentions in living in one and renting the other three out. At this point he informed me that each individual "unit" inside these buildings are considered a SFR.. So I dont know the history of the building but is it possible someone had these built as a "multifamily" then sold each unit individually? Is anybody familiar with a situation like this and can shine some light?

I've seen something like this a few times around Pensacola. A listing would show either a a SFR or a duplex even though they were town home style and attached in a row of 4 under 1 roof. They usually ended up going one of two ways. Either it was a building only sale or the property lines were drawn to show the divide bisecting shared walls. It also meant an HOA 99% of the time to cover shared costs.

Thanks for that input, I'm not a fan of HOA's lol. It's nice just to know the little things sometimes you wonder about haha!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.