House hacking

4 Replies

I have two daughters in their 20s who have just graduated from college.  I offered to put up a down payment on a house hack.  They have to landlord, pay maintenance, and we split profit when they sell.  I want this to be a business transaction - not a gift.  How is this usually structured.  I want a hard nosed business deal.  They don't know they will have a big inheritance and I want them to learn from this.

gift downpayment in exchange of owning 20% of the house?

you could even have it such that they have an option to re-buy your downpayment if you want to be extra-nice. So say once they paid the mortgage, they realize they are not happy with 80% ownership, and want 100%. then they decide to pay you the rest on a monthly basis

@Steve Kehoe , Much as you love them, the key is for you to retain control of the situation while they learn so you don't get hurt and their mistakes don't hurt as much. Create a holding LLC with you and them as members. You have majority interest and nominate yourself as managing member. Operating docs spell out their duties in exchange for their membership interests. If at any time they fail to perform then the managing member can terminate their involvment and you can always make a unilateral decision to sell the property if you choose. Or you can transfer interest periodically working with your accountant to slowly move the property totally into their control.

Good advice on creating an llc with me as the majority member.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.