Purchasing California Land from Owner in Switzerland; Notary?!

7 Replies

Land located in San Bernardino County, seller located in Switzerland.

Having trouble finding info here and on U.S./Switzerland government websites about getting the proper Notary that can be recognized on the Deed.  The U.S. embassy offers a service, to a $50-$100 charge, but that's only in Geneva.  Motivated seller wants to make as little effort as possible, aka a notary closer to them (currently reading about the Hague Apostille Convention; trying to connect the dots and hear some real world experiences).

Anyone else buying from distant, unattached and motivated owners overseas?  Delinquent taxes, international taxes/fees on top of County charges.  Feels like a decent market already...

Also, any advice on best ways to transfer funds would be appreciated!  We're only talking several thousand max for two parcels.

cheers!

Several thousand for Parcels in Cali? Really?

if you dont go thru an escrow company in California you will be throwing your money away Stop immediately 

If the seller is not motivated enough to go the consulate, they're not motivated enough.  That's how it is done.  On this end, treat it like any other purchase.

Good point @Wayne Brooks , as it turns out they do live near the consulate. That is now the only way it'll go through. 

Per the other warnings, sage advice. Don't worry, I'm not sending any money to a Somali Prince anytime soon (haha:)). This will be structured to not release funds until deed is verified.

Any specifics on successful experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thank you @Steve Haight , I appreciate you sharing your experience and the constructive details.  I had been curious which title companies would/could do overseas deals; I appreciate it!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.