Male homeowners are more likely to go into foreclosure vs Females

5 Replies

http://www.realtytrac.com/news/foreclosure-trends/the-foreclosure-rate-gender-gap/

Great article, it's because they won't stop to ask for directions!

"The analysis found that 73 out of every 10,000 homes with individual male homeowners were in foreclosure as of the end of Q3 2016 while 72 out of every 10,000 homes owned by individual female homeowners were in foreclosure."

I highly doubt that's a statistically significant difference. 

Once they start breaking it down into the different family situation categories, then the patterns look interesting- especially widowers vs. widows. 

@Cary Ferguson Jr

No doubt! Pawnshops love taking womens shoes and jewelry as collateral to make mortgage payments. 

@David Krulac  @Patsy Waldron

Patsy is right. 72 vs 73 out of 10,000 isn't even enough to label as noise. We're talking about 1/100 of a percent in difference here. That's pretty much 0. It's not worthy of an article other than the fact that it's interesting. 

But there are some fun patterns here. Warning...  I'm not going to be scientific here:

• Single/unmarried men - Higher default due to younger age, lower income and higher risk tolerance
  • Widowed men - Due to wage differentials and the likelihood that a male is the household earner, the male will have a better life insurance policy in place. If the wife of the household passes away and doesn't leave a lot of money from insurance, then the survived husband will have to pay for day care, mortgage and cars, assuming they have kids. 

I have no guess at the married category. These are my first guesses...  And that's all they are.

OMG - - who cares!  Gender has never been a criterion to a successful deal.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here