squatter in a Philadelphia property that I want to buy !

3 Replies

I am trying to buy a house that I can flip with my brother in Philadelphia. I saw a house that I might be interested in but there is a squatter living there and he wont leave. The realtor that I contacted told me that because someone moved in, the property is for sale but sight unseen. So in that case I think I can get a good deal but I am responsible for removing the squatter. What can I do in that case legally?

I live in Boston and I am not familiar with this kind of issue. My brother says its common in some neighborhoods in Philly, he wants to go in and throw the guy out if we decide to buy the house but I don't know if that is the right thing to do.

Has anybody ran into this situation in Philly? 

and I am looking for a good flip for under $50k in N.E Philly, or Germantown, or South Philly

Richard Moreno, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9555810)

@Richard Moreno , assuming it is not the previous homeowner, you will have to file for eviction.

It's not that uncommon, but could take a few months if they are "professional squatters". Offer them a couple hundred in help to move if possible.

@Richard Moreno

Hi,

I'm considering doing the same thing. How did this work out for you? I'm budgeting in "cash for keys" on this deal. Is this what you had to do? 

Thanks! - Matt

I'd guess cash for keys would be the best way to go, as it's likely that exactly what the squatter wants. Do they have a lease of any kind? Even a forged one? That could make it much more difficult. I'd call the county Sherriff and the courthouse- usually they have some sort of legal aid there and propose the situation as if you have already purchased the property and are looking for advice. If it's a renter friendly area, you'll probably have a hard time. If it's a landlord friendly area, it might not be too big of a deal. Good luck!

Corby Goade, Real Estate Agent
208-297-3010

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.