3 dwellings on a lot that's zoned for 2 dwellings

4 Replies

Hi BP,

I heard from a motivated seller who wants to sell a multifamily property.

They report there are 3 units on the lot - a 2/1 and 2 x 1/1.

In doing my due diligence I've noticed that only 2 buildings appear on the tax records (a 2/1 and a 1/1) and that the lot is zoned 'MDR' which according to the city's municipal code can mean 2 single-family dwellings or 2 2-family dwellings or one single-family dwelling and one 2-family dwelling may be constructed thereon and so used.

From another source it said the zoning is LRR2* but I'm not familiar with what this means. Does anyone know?

From street view it's pretty clear there are 3 dwellings and one looks to be a converted garage which I assume was not legally permitted.

I have not come across this situation and wondered how I should proceed with this? Submit an offer that reflects the lesser rent from only 2 units less any costs to remove the illegal rooms/dwelling? Or not touch it with a barge pole?

Thanks,

Chris

Go to the city and verify the zoning. Pull records from the city clerk to see what has been done there in the past.

Thanks @Seth Borman I will call to confirm. Assuming that they do confirm it's the zoning mentioned above as I pulled that from a map on their site, what would you recommend?

Underwrite it in legal condition and expect to tear a house down.

Thanks again for the advice.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here