Best business credit card: Go!

22 Replies

Anyone have an opinion what's the best credit card to use for business expenses? Re perks, cash back, miles, low interest rates, stuff I haven't thought of, etc....

Chase Saphire Preferred.  Best travel rewards and it aint even close.

Thanks, Russell. I'll look it up. 

@Heidi Wills I made a mistake...its the CHase Saphire Reserve....the preferred was the old one...the Reserve is the one that really upped the game.

@Heidi Wills Chase Ink Business Preferred. Bonus 80k in points right now I think. It's very similar to the Chase Sapphire which is a personal card I believe.

What I like about it is it doesn't appear on your personal credit like other business cards do. 

I'll start doing some comparisons. Thanks!

Citi cash back card. It pays me 2% on everything. For my spending it is around $1500/year free money. I don't travel much so this is my card of choice. 

Both Chase (Ink, Freedom & Slate) and Capital One (Spark) offer 12-18 months zero interest. Also, great cash back programs and pretty decent credit limits.  I was able to use these to fund my flips at zero interest this past year.

I prefer cash to anything else, so I use Citi cash & Amex cash. Amex is better from a personal standpoint - 6% groceries, 3% gasoline - Citi is better on everything else (2%). I have several others that are cash. 

@Heidi Wills I'm all about the interest rate....I have a Barclay Ringmaster 8% fixed rate card that has been my go to for the past couple of years.  I could care less about the rewards.  Best of luck to you.

@JD Martin -  We love our Southwest Chase Card.  By far the best reward program especially for business because once you spend over 110k, you get a "companion pass", which means you can pick anyone to travel free whenever you travel.  Also points don't expire, bags fly free, and if you use points to purchase tickets, they have a great cancellation policy.

If you do decide to do this, please message me first and I'll send you my affiliate link.  You still get the 50k points but I get some points too (win, win!)

Originally posted by @Shawn Ackerman :

@Heidi Wills I'm all about the interest rate....I have a Barclay Ringmaster 8% fixed rate card that has been my go to for the past couple of years.  I could care less about the rewards.  Best of luck to you.

Interest rate doesn't matter if you don't pay any interest ;)  . 

I look at cash-back credit cards this way: years ago, when I was broke, I paid interest. Sometimes exorbitant interest. Now I'm getting all of my money back. 

@Heidi Wills-  We love our Southwest Chase Card.  By far the best reward program especially for business because once you spend over 110k, you get a "companion pass", which means you can pick anyone to travel free whenever you travel.  Also points don't expire, bags fly free, and if you use points to purchase tickets, they have a great cancellation policy.

If you do decide to do this, please message me first and I'll send you my affiliate link.  You still get the 50k points but I get some points too (win, win!)

@JD Martin Thanks for the input but I'm not really sure if groceries constitute a business expense.  You are answering a question about business with a personal solution.  What is the cash back on building materials, paying contractors, permits, servicers etc.... @Heidi Wills were you asking about groceries??

I feel the exact opposite.  I'm not interested in carrying any sort of balance, so the rate is irrelevant to me.  The rewards are where it's at.  I try and use whatever card will reward me the most for purchasing necessities (gas, groceries, etc).   I've got Chase Freedom card that offers quarterly reward increases on select services like the ones I've listed above, as well as regular cash back on all purchases.  It's suited me fine so far.

@Jd Martin Thanks for the input but I'm not really sure if groceries constitute a business expense.  You are answering a question about business with a personal solution.  What is the cash back on building materials, paying contractors, permits, servicers etc.... @Heidi Wills were you asking about groceries??

True that :) . Cash back on business expenses with Citi is 2%. I only mentioned the AMEX because it offers 1% back on everything else, and there are certain times I prefer to use AMEX on a business purchase. 

We should get this stickied

@JD Martin are you referring to AMEX business or personal cards?

Formerly Cap One Venture because all spending is rewarded at 2 points. Recently, SPG AMEX and MARRIOTT rewards because I was chasing the Southwest Companion pass. Just earned it and now have 2 for 1 travel for the next two years. Have to now think of what's the best card going forward. I don't carry balances so rewards are key.

Originally posted by @Elbert Dockery :

We should get this stickied

Jd Martin are you referring to AMEX business or personal cards?

Amex preferred cash. Technically it is probably considered a personal card, but I hazard 95% of the people who are going to read this post can use it for their business purchases because everything is in their name, not in the name of a corporation or LLC.

Following for future reference.

thanks all for your input. I do quite a bit of traveling so travel rewards would be great but not necessarily the deciding factor. I don't plan to keep high balances on the card and I'm just getting started so I'm still deciding what my priorities are. 

@JD Martin thanks for clarifying that. I'll look into that Amex card. 

Has one looked into delta or Southwest Airlines cards? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here