Votes
Gary Miller
  • Staten Island, NY
Votes |
Turnkey questions by novice high income investor

Gary Miller
  • Staten Island, NY
Posted Feb 18 2017, 09:32

I had started a forum earlier regarding high income investor and some recommendations that might work for someone like me who has little time but good income. I am a physician looking for passive investment at least initially. I have reviewed the forums and have looked at Turnkey investment including single family and multifamily investments. I read one of the forums described as "Turkey Disaster", essentially a turnkey disaster. I have also looked at mobile home investing as a potential investment vehicle but realized after responses and having purchased Frank Rolfe's and Dave Reynold's outstanding course (and listening to the excellent podcast by Bupp and DeHart) that it would require more learning and more involvement and more time just trying to find the right property than I have time for.

With regard to turnkey investments, I have looked at several. The turnkey disaster involved c rated apartments in which the property manager failed to screen tenants properly. You can search for that "Turkey Disaster" to read the forum on that. I have been in touch with several providers but have not yet begun the process. There are, of course, risks with any real estate investment, but my dealing with Memphis Invest thus far suggests that they may be a really good fit for someone like me. It is always good, however, to hear from investors that have had issues with properties with their Turnkey company and determine how that company resolved the issue. In the "Turkey Disaster" case, it appeared that the Turnkey operator did get involved but there were issues that came from this experience that left a reader like me concerned. For example, if the property manager allowed this to happen, why are they still working with the turnkey operator. My understanding is that the screener essentially let anyone who walked through the door rent the properties. If there was no oversight by the PM, that should have been screened by the Turnkey operator. 

My understanding about Memphis Invest is that they do their own property search, their own, rehab and their own property management. Any problems with regard to screening proper tenants is on them. They seem to reduce risk by purchasing the right property in the right area and only do Single Family investment. Having looked at the market, these factors are reassuring but I would like to know from the community what their experience has been with. Has anyone worked with them or others and what is your experience with them? You can email me privately if you would like.

Thank you

Loading replies...