Florida Investors/Residents (FL statute) - Need help with deed

Florida Investors/Residents (FL statute) - Need help with deed

Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes

Hi-

I'm trying to make sense of a Florida Statute. 

Recently did a "Will" with my partner as a result of estate planning. When the primary property was purchased, the deed did not have "right of suvivorship" or "tenants in common" language added. I'm not sure why but after many years and learning more about RE I am now being presented with a different deed change to say "tenants by the entireties" this being for the purpose of "creditor protection". 

I read up on this and found that in divorce or death it appears it can be challenged and the surviving spouse would in fact still be liable for the deceased debt and the "tenants by the entireties" may not have any bearing.

The current deed basically just has our names stating "unmarried persons", which we are married now but not when we purchased the home.

I contacted an attorney who was the one suggesting the "tenants by the entireties" and what lead me to the statue below.

Does anyone understand the language in this statute?

I'm trying to figure out just what we need to do for deed changes as protection, the attorney said the "Will" gives us some protection but "better" protection is to do the "tenants by the entireties".

Thanks BP!

The 2016 Florida Statutes

Title XL
REAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTY
Chapter 689
CONVEYANCES OF LAND AND DECLARATIONS OF TRUST
View Entire Chapter

689.15 Estates by survivorship.—The doctrine of the right of survivorship in cases of real estate and personal property held by joint tenants shall not prevail in this state; that is to say, except in cases of estates by entirety, a devise, transfer or conveyance heretofore or hereafter made to two or more shall create a tenancy in common, unless the instrument creating the estate shall expressly provide for the right of survivorship; and in cases of estates by entirety, the tenants, upon dissolution of marriage, shall become tenants in common.

History.—s. 20, Nov. 17, 1829; RS 1819; GS 2294; RGS 3617; CGL 5482; s. 3, ch. 20954, 1941; s. 1, ch. 73-300.
0Reply
24 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    Is this your homestead?

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John Thedford:

    Is this your homestead?

     Yes, it is our homestead.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Homestead properties in Fl are protected from outside cereditors....that is to say judgments and liens other than IRS, mortgages and liens specifically attached to the residence, such as hoa debts and property taxes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    Homestead properties in Fl are protected from outside cereditors....that is to say judgments and liens other than IRS, mortgages and liens specifically attached to the residence, such as hoa debts and property taxes.

    I'll have to bring this up to the attorney. One reason I posted here was his fee of $250 to re-deed the property. I told him I'd think on it but that is just so much just to re-deed, and I know legalese dictates that I consult an attorney to get the right language and information into the deed.

    In any case, he said we are protected by the "Will" but in the case of creditors we should redo the deed, which at the moment has both our names and states "unmarried persons".

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    9y

    @Wayne Brooks Where can I find the homestead protection you referred to in your post. Ty

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Daria B.  Fl statutes, I presume.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    9y

    @Wayne Brooks I asked so I could go directly to the statute source and not go round and round with the attorney. I had him do some work in the past for me but now I feel this information may out weigh the cost and action of doing something that may not be necessary. As an attorney he should know this fact so I need to find it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 551 posts · 159 votes
    9y
  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    9y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.