Land Contract a Land Contract

11 Replies

Hello BP,

I was wondering can you Land contract out a Land Contract. I know its not clean, but is it legal?

Ex: A buyer is purchasing a house via LC and wants to sell the house via LC, is this possible?

It will most likely violate the terms of the original land contract. The best you can probably do is a lease option unless the owner is on board with whatever your plans are.

never sale with land contract, sale with lease option.... hope it worked out for you!

Selling on land contract gives buyer too much power. Unless your getting a huge own payment and the buyer is more of a savy buyer. In alot of states youll have to go through a foreclosure to get them out the property if something goes wrong on their end. In my state if they default on a option agreement then you can go through normal eviction process to get them removed from property. 

It depends on the terms of the original land contract.

The thing that has most people advising against it is that once a buyers equitable interest reaches a certain point (typically determined by the agreement) you have to go through the foreclosure process. Prior to reaching that point it's far easier to end the relationship.

Here's my opinion....

I love buying on LC and have bought nearly 60 units this way ranging from SFR's up to 12 and 16 unit complexes.

LC's are best used to buy businesses (involving real estate) and investment properties.

When selling to an "owner occupant" there are just too many instances where the buyer looks at it no different if it were a lease when it comes to their performance.

I've done one "sandwich" land contract (I may have just invented that term) and it was a small commercial building. It's going perfectly in every aspect thus far.

@Todd Douglas

Just be sure to check your agreement with your seller. My agreement (land contract) requires that I obtain written permission from my seller to be able to sell to my buyer on LC. 

Best of luck 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here