First Time Buying - Out of State?

First Time Buying - Out of State?

El Segundo, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes

I'm looking to get into real estate investing but I live in Los Angeles. 

Finding cashflow opportunities is next to impossible at this time, and even when you find decent looking numbers the sale price gets bid up way over asking to where the numbers aren't so decent.

My hopes are that things are topping out here, because I'm tied to LA for my full time job and I would love to purchase and do a "house hack" situation.

Recently I've been looking at opportunities outside of CA and Toledo, OH is looking very attractive. My step brother is going to med school out there and renting a place so he would potentially partner with me. 

I guess I'm looking for any generic tips, suggestions or warnings for a first time investor out of state - 

I'm looking to purchase something between 50k-85k and it looks like I would be able to find something that would adhere to the 1% rule pretty easily. 

Anybody on here done something similar? Would love any feedback, tips or suggestions. This is my first post here. 

1Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Dayton OH (dayton, oh) · Member since 2016 · 194 posts · 123 votes
9y

@Mike F. I do know of a great property management company in Ohio but I must disclose I am affiliated with the owner @Engelo Rumora   He does property management heavily in Toledo, OH as well as southern Ohio around Dayton and Cincinnati. I do not have contacts with inspectors in southern Ohio as I live, work and invest in Toledo but I can PM you a great contact down south who may be able to assist.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2016 · 235 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Hey @Cameron Nehrer

    You are not along in this situation. I live in LA and invest in Florida for the same reasons. While the market where I invest (Tampa/Orlando) is a bit pricier than the midwest, it is definitely possible and worthwhile looking out of state.

    Going in with your step brother sounds great because it is always nice to have someone on the ground even if you're not able to see it yourself. Once you determine your market, I would connect with local agents, lenders, etc on Bigger Pockets to help out.

    Even from afar, I have been able to find quality partners just from the BP community. Plus, with Google Streets, smart phones with cameras, etc, investing out of state is not nearly as scary as it has been in the past. Hope that helps. 

    All the best!

    -Brad

  • Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    I'm located here, reach out to me when you're ready to pull the trigger I have some great deals within your price range

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 343 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    @Cameron Nehrer - In state or OOS is a dimension to investment. All kind of the investments come with risk. Your decision to go to Toledo OH should not be solely based on your brother going to be local for quite some time.

    There are few folks available on BP who can guide you in right direction and many others looking for newbies. Your first test is to connect to right ones and rest is assured. 

    "Education is what you get by learning from others. Experience is what you get by not learning from others."

    Read every line from this BP post, market does not matter.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/227602-difficulty-selling-rental-properties-at-loan-amount

    Good Luck Investing

    Vivek

  • El Segundo, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thanks a lot @Vivek Khoche 

    Wow, I just spent about 30 minutes skimming, and will re visit later when I have more time. Lots of info out there and it looks like the main takeaway is: 

    1) Be weary of predatory TK providers looking to exploit newbies

    2) Property Management is a crucial component that must be addressed

    3) Always understand the exit strategy 

    To your comments: 

    The decision isn't based solely on the fact that my brother will be there, it was more of the catalyst. When I saw how much he is paying for rent and how much houses were going for there it sparked the interest. Since I've looked more into it seems that there are pretty good opportunities in Toledo for student rentals.  

    My plan for this investment would be to put down around 25% on 30 year fixed... 

    I obviously need to do a lot more research to make sure I can find a good deal, I just thought I'd post here to get the ball rolling. Which so far has helped. 

    Thanks for referencing that thread, there is a knowledge of info in there and things related to investing out of state. - I have bookmarked it and will return. 

    Thanks 

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Cameron! I'm right next to you, in Venice. I've always invested out-of-state. It's definitely tough here, even for house-hacking.

    Nice to meet you neighbor!

  • Specialist · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 329 posts · 88 votes
    9y

    Hi Cameron,

    Find a local investors club or meet ups. Go visit and organize your visit around the meetings. You'll find good local contacts that should be willing to help you. Research who you do business with!

    As you can tell from BP investors love helping each other out. There's plenty of business to go around.

    Tim

  • El Segundo, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Ali Boone nice to meet you! What areas are excited about right now? Are there any REI meet ups on the LA area that you'd suggest? I figure going to things like this will just help me further my education and network.
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 343 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    @Cameron Nehrer - I think you got the most of REI secrets to success. I am not discouraging you for combining this wonderful opportunity as your brother would need a place to stay.

    You may further explore the possibilities as one of my friend has created LLC in the name of her daughter and loaned here to buy a house in Austin, she would be paying in state tuition, the saving in four years is projected to be $75K on a $145K house. Rental income and appreciation is bonus.

    Good Luck 

    Vivek

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I don't go to any myself, so not totally sure what is out there. I know some people post on here about meetups, but not sure of any specific ones. 

    Right now I'm working with Philly, Baltimore, Chicago, Indy, and Kansas City :)

    Reach out anytime!

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Cameron Nehrer I don't know if this advice will be helpful or not but pick a market where you have some local knowledge or someone living there that can give you local knowledge.  A place you went to school, where a sibling lives, a city where you grew up, just anything that lets you understand a market better than you can sitting at a computer.  Everyone on BP has a rationale on why the city they invest in is the best:  cash-flow, appreciation, path-of-progress, something.  Realtors on BP are armed to the teeth as to why Nashville is better than Toledo or Toledo is better than Cleveland.  The challenge with all of that is that real estate (to a large extent) is a hyper-local game where there are right vs. wrong sides of the tracks.  If you have someone that can at least steer you away from the "wrong side" of the tracks you'll be miles ahead of anyone else that's just cruising around Zillow.  

    Also, don't discount having to visit during the sales/vetting process and going out there from time-to-time.  Toledo may be a slightly better market than Tucson (just making things up) but Tucson is a cheap Southwest flight away.  Side note, I own nothing in Toledo or Tuscon.

    You did hit on the biggest challenge with low-dollar OOS investing:  exit strategy.  Who will buy that turnkey home purchased for $10K, rehabbed, and bought by you for $50K if you have to sell it tomorrow?  Not a turnkey company, likely not an owner-occupant, maybe another investor...who will also wants a "deal"... 

  • Brick, NJ · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Ali Boone , can you recommend a good turnkey company in the Philly area?
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 343 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Johnson - I agree with you 200%, why only low dollar OOS, I talk to my investor  friends on daily basis and none has exit strategy me included. In a investor group meeting of one of the cash flow market number of people were offering me once in life time type of deals, when I said I am here to sell my deals I was left alone for the rest of the evening. 

    REI is street by street block by block. Also like any other investment I believe in a complete cycle i.e. cash leaving your account to cash back in your account.

    Thanks
    Vivek

  • Real Estate Agent · Dayton OH (dayton, oh) · Member since 2016 · 194 posts · 123 votes
    9y
    I'd love to connect if you decide to invest here in Ohio! I do turnkey properties in Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati and Middletown.
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Rebecca Cirisan I'm an out of state investor from Houston looking to close on my first deal in Cincinnati. Hopefully I can close in the next 30-45 days. Know of any great property managers or inspectors?
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cameron Nehrer:

    I'm looking to get into real estate investing but I live in Los Angeles. 

    Finding cashflow opportunities is next to impossible at this time, and even when you find decent looking numbers the sale price gets bid up way over asking to where the numbers aren't so decent.

    My hopes are that things are topping out here, because I'm tied to LA for my full time job and I would love to purchase and do a "house hack" situation.

    Recently I've been looking at opportunities outside of CA and Toledo, OH is looking very attractive. My step brother is going to med school out there and renting a place so he would potentially partner with me. 

    I guess I'm looking for any generic tips, suggestions or warnings for a first time investor out of state - 

    I'm looking to purchase something between 50k-85k and it looks like I would be able to find something that would adhere to the 1% rule pretty easily. 

    Anybody on here done something similar? Would love any feedback, tips or suggestions. This is my first post here. 

     Investing out of state when you live in CA is a great idea! Have you been looking much into turnkeys? That might be a great idea for you. Ideally the provider will own, renovate and manage the property all in house! This way it is 100% passive for you!

  • Investor · Great Neck, NY · Member since 2016 · 679 posts · 467 votes
    9y

    @Cameron Nehrer

    It is important to shadow someone who has successfully done the type of investing your looking to do.  As someone who has been doing out of state investing for close to a decade, I realized over the years that having a good system and team in place will ultimately keep your portfolio going.  Best of luck!

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rebecca G.:

    I'd love to connect if you decide to invest here in Ohio! I do turnkey properties in Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati and Middletown.

    Are you doing deals in the Ohio Toledo or Toledo of Spain?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo,_Spain

    lol

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cameron Nehrer:

    I'm looking to get into real estate investing but I live in Los Angeles. 

    Finding cashflow opportunities is next to impossible at this time, and even when you find decent looking numbers the sale price gets bid up way over asking to where the numbers aren't so decent.

    My hopes are that things are topping out here, because I'm tied to LA for my full time job and I would love to purchase and do a "house hack" situation.

    Recently I've been looking at opportunities outside of CA and Toledo, OH is looking very attractive. My step brother is going to med school out there and renting a place so he would potentially partner with me. 

    I guess I'm looking for any generic tips, suggestions or warnings for a first time investor out of state - 

    I'm looking to purchase something between 50k-85k and it looks like I would be able to find something that would adhere to the 1% rule pretty easily. 

    Anybody on here done something similar? Would love any feedback, tips or suggestions. This is my first post here. 

    Ohio is a great place to find some good ROI. Look for professionals in the market you like and reach out to them. See what they have to say about it!

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Cameron Nehrer Welcome! Lots of good advice here (some bad too). Central Ohio (Columbus) is the strongest RE market in the state... hands down...actually #12 in the country right now. Going nowhere but up. Let me know if you want to chat about the local area. I work with a couple other California investors that have been able to find some solid opportunity here.

    Cheers!

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Ozzy SmithPro Member
    Specialist · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 265 votes
    9y

    I live and invest in Dayton Ohio as well as Cleveland. We just contracted today another SFR that I'm doing a JV partnership with someone from Las Vegas. We are doing a flip using his money for the down payment and my PM Lender for the rest with me doing the GC work. I also made a few other offers today on properties to do the same exact model with an investor out of Texas. They both work full time jobs and live in high dollar markets so it's a perfect fit. This is what I specialize in and they both found me and asked how we could work together. After about a week of emails and phone calls we came up with a plan and BOOM we are off and running. I'm meeting with the contractor tomorrow to get a scope of work, closing in 30 days, and should be ready to sell in about 2 months after that.

    If you find someone to work with like that, out of state investing is easy... you just need a partner that knows the deal inside and out with connections.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Dayton OH (dayton, oh) · Member since 2016 · 194 posts · 123 votes
    9y

    @Mike F. I do know of a great property management company in Ohio but I must disclose I am affiliated with the owner @Engelo Rumora   He does property management heavily in Toledo, OH as well as southern Ohio around Dayton and Cincinnati. I do not have contacts with inspectors in southern Ohio as I live, work and invest in Toledo but I can PM you a great contact down south who may be able to assist.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    thanks for the info! I'd be happy to put them in the pool; it's always wise to interview multiple PM companies :)

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Rebecca G. thanks for the info! I'd be happy to put them in the pool; it's always wise to interview multiple PM companies :)

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike F.:

    @Rebecca G. thanks for the info! I'd be happy to put them in the pool; it's always wise to interview multiple PM companies :)

    No pool needed.

    We don't swim with others :)

    lol

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Chris Rusoff Yeah. Shoot me a message on here or my email in my profile page.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.