Votes
Jeff Gonz
  • SE CT, CT
Votes |
Where to go from here?

Jeff Gonz
  • SE CT, CT
Posted Jun 16 2017, 07:01

Looking for some input on where I should go from here. I'm kind of at a crossroads right now in my real estate venture and I'm hoping to get some good input from BP, maybe help out a few other people who are in my same situation. 

My Goal is to purchase enough properties where I can quit my full time job and managing my properties would become my full time job (hopefully not forever). Would like for this to happen as soon as possible. 

Houses I own:

Duplex

My first purchase was in September of 15. It is a two family that currently has $222,000 left on a VA mortgage (3.2%). I got it for $219,000 but IRRL'd into a cheaper interest rate. I also got back about $2000 in escrow and other bonuses etc. When appraised at the time of the IRRL it came in at $240k. This house currently rents for $2500 ($1250 a unit).

SFR

I got married last month. My wife inherited a house from her family. Her mortgage is $100k on a conventional FHA (4.5%). Similar comps in her area have sold for up to $500k. Her house is no where near that worth cause it probably needs anywhere from $80k-$100k. I want to keep this house long term cause I would eventually like to retire in it. However, it is to small for us and we would like to move out. Also the taxes in this area are rough. Possible rent could range anywhere from $2200-$3000 a month depending on the quality of the renovation. Would also consider putting in an efficacy apartment so me and the wife can still come stay if we want to. Also could be a good AirBnB rental. AirBnB does really well in my area.

Our finances

(all after taxes/ before bills)

I  make $4300 a month

Wife $1800 a month

Rent $2500 (I try not to touch any of my cash flow)

Major Bills (per month)

SFR $950 (owe $100k)

Duplex $1300 (Owe $222k)

Car $220 (owe $10k)

CC we owe about $8000  between us not sure about monthly I usually pay more off a month

College loan $200 (Owe $10k) 

Possible Financing,

Personal loan from family $60k

Could probably only do one of the below at a time. Definitely cant do a VA and FHA at the same time because of the residency requirement.

$100k equity credit line on SFR

Refi VA loan to conventional and get full VA entitlement ($417k)

203k FHA $125k

Markets I'm looking at

Market A

C-D neighborhood

Multis range from $40k-$200k 

need anywhere from $50k-$150k worth of work. 

Potential $10k a unit interest free 5 year loan from the city for repairs (roof, HVAC, etc)

Rent per sqft $1.05-$1.50

Market B

B-C neighborhood

Multis range from $150-$400

Move in ready to $30-$50k reno

Rent per sqft $1.20-$2.00

Market C

B+ Neighborhood (our neighborhood) 

Would have to get a single in disrepair cause of cost

$100k-$200k

Repairs $80-$150k

could get $2000-$2500 for rent a month. Also AirBnB is big in this area. 

Any help would be great. Thanks for even reading.

JJ

Loading replies...