• Real Estate Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
4th deal - Banks are so fickle!

Kel S
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Mar 15 2010, 12:55

Again, it's been awhile. Sorry about that. Just been busy with other things. Anyway, we looked at a house about three months ago...

2 bed (although there is a large finished attic that could be 3d bed)
1 bath
890 sq feet
Nice unfinished full basement
2 car garage

Needs kitchen redone (flooring in kitchen & dining room, plus new counters/cabinets). It also needs work in the bathroom. Other than that the rest is pretty minor. Maybe new carpet in one of the bedrooms.

Anyway, so about 3 months ago the bank listed it at 39,900. So we waited. They reduced it to $35,900 and we put in an offer for $31,500. They countered that they wanted full price of $35,900. So we walked away.

Fast forward a month later and the bank reduces the house again to 29,900 and we put in an offer for $29,900, the asking price. The bank accepts. See now had they took our offer previously they would of gotten a little more. LOL!

In any case, we are waiting for bank docs and hope to close in a month. I'm going to try and take before/after pictures of the kitchen. It's definitely going to be a complete redo.

I think it's a cute house but the one thing I don't like and can't change is the 1 bathroom is TINY! So tiny that you have a tub/shower, a toilet and enough room for a small pedestal sink. So not sure what we'll do for storage in there. Maybe over the toilet cupboard or something. I think we'll also take the door off (It opens inward...making it feel even more cramped) and change it so it opens outward instead.

How big of a turn off will the tiny single bathroom be for prospective tenants?

The only other thing I'm iffy about in this house is the finished attic bedroom (does have a closet up there), there is a large dome shaped skylight window. No leakage that we can see. But it does look like someone went a little nuts with caulking on the inside edges...so it's sloppy/ugly looking. Also the dome part is plexiglass it looks like and no flat glass under that. So someone put selaphane (spelling?). Hard to explain. But I hope we don't have issues with that skylight. Probably will at some point I would imagine.

Loading replies...