Home Inspection Found Termite Damage - My Plan

8 Replies

I have a house under contract and inspection yesterday.  We found some things that were as expected, some unexpected.  The biggest was the discovery of termite damage on the floor joists in the basement.  It appears that there were some had had sister boards installed along with a temporary support.  There are other floor joists that showed damage but did not have sister boards installed.  I was told by the inspector it was not an active colony.  I am told the sellers will make no repairs, but may negotiate on price.  I am hustling to find someone to quote the job.

My Plan

1. Called Terminix.  Got a quote for a treatment.  But they only offer a protection plan if there is not an active.

2. Find Structural Engineer to come out to inspect damage and advise a course of action.

I only have a few days after the inspection period to respond.  Does anyone have any other suggestions besides "walk/Run away".

Is there anyone else I should be contacting to look at the property?

Thanks!

Mike

Termites are pretty common and I have dealt with them.  I use this as a bargaining chip to repair damages and treat for termites.  

A Great sister board splice takes care of the situation.  I usually sister both sides of Floor joist, which I have been repeatedly told that was over kill.  I do not like bouncey floors, so I secure them up tight.  

Use this as a tool to help you make a better deal.  I would not worry to much, if it is old damage.  Just shore up what you have and get it ready.  

Termnix and Orkin or both great companies, I personally use a private pest control for this that gives me a great warranty and is a lot cheaper.  

Again, this is a great bargaining chip,  Termites scare most sellers and once your realtor knows it, he is obligated to share this information, I believe.  

I have one realtor that has contacted me when other deals have fell through because of Termites.  I was able to negotiate a better price because the seller was worried too.  

Is it a flip or a rental?

If you're shying away as an investor who is willing to put work in, then it might be a total no go for a buyer who wants something move in ready. I think this has a lot of regional variance. The farther south you go the more common and therefore less scary termites become to potential buyers.

@Ron Flatt Thanks for the info.  The trouble I am having is finding a contractor to give an official quote so I have an idea of the cost and can renegotiate.  There were other things found that I think need to be quoted but I should have an easier time finding contractors for.

@Clayton Barnes This is my first property, naturally I am a little more cautious and conservative.  This would be a house hack for me initially.  It's a three unit property fully rented.  The numbers aren't that great outside of a house hacking but there is room for improvement with splitting utilities and getting rents up to market rates.

I generally take care of floor joist with me an my maintenance man.  The main item is the crawl space. If it is too tight and they have to dig all the way to where they are working it can be expensive.  I try to get my properties up off the ground, so maintenance on pipes is easier.  

Any reputable contractor can check the sistering that has been done and see if it is adequate or if it needs replaced properly.  It should not be that expensive unless again, the property is too low to the ground.  You want to make sure it is taken care of before cold weather sets in.  I have been in Pennsylvania in the winter.. I would not want to have to crawl under with snow outside...LOL  

Main thing the numbers have to work.  If you can get a bid then add a little to it to get where you need to be.  If you are able and willing, I would take my flashlight and check the damage out myself.  If it has been repaired but they just noted old damage, I would not worry to much.  I would have it treated to make sure all pest are gone, (it helps on other insects too, when they treat).

Mike,

probably your best bet is to find a handyman in the area, any big contractors most likely will not take on a project like that. the easiest thing to do is to sister the joists like they have, most likely the sill on the outside wall that they rest on is destroyed too. depending on how many joists are damaged, you may be looking at about $1500 in repairs. 

I've been in contact with 10 contractors, two of which referred me to a local builders assn.  The main challenge is the time frame and the unknown if the damage extends into the area's that I can't see.

I appreciate all the feedback.  I'll plan on $2500 as a conservative estimate.

Originally posted by @Mike S. :

I've been in contact with 10 contractors, two of which referred me to a local builders assn.  The main challenge is the time frame and the unknown if the damage extends into the area's that I can't see.

Hi Mike, I was wondering what you ended up doing and how much you spent on the repairs? We are finding ourselves in a similar situation, where there are signs of damage by termites, so we are trying to determine course of action.

Originally posted by @Alexandra Chaploutskiy :
Originally posted by @Mike S.:

Hi Mike, I was wondering what you ended up doing and how much you spent on the repairs? We are finding ourselves in a similar situation, where there are signs of damage by termites, so we are trying to determine course of action.

No Action taken as of yet.  Previous repairs have continued to hold up.  I check on a regular basis for signs of activity.