Columbus, Ohio neighborhood rankings??

Columbus, Ohio neighborhood rankings??

Professional · Loudonville, OH · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 37 votes

I saw a post on here a while back with practically a street-by-street rundown by someone familiar with Cleveland ranking the various neighborhoods. Anyone have or seen a list like that for Columbus? We are looking at some properties and I would like to get familiar with the neighborhoods that are up and coming vs. war zones and the in-between affordable ones.  Thanks! 

3Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
8y

@Erin K. I live near wooster! Ya do not see that town pop up much on here!

anyhow, I do not think you can take ANY ranking that goes street by street 

as an accurate source of info. People move all of the time. I have bought on great 

streets and next thing I know, someone moves in on the street and changes the entire culture. 

I find if you buy on streets with more owner occupants and not a lot of multi units, you can really 

have a fighting chance of it being ok. 

I always tell my investors if you REALLY wanna know a street, go on the first of the month on a warm friday evening, you will see what a neighborhood is all about. 

If someone tries showing you a house on a rainy Sunday morning..... watch out! LOL

Just my 2 cents. :-) 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pickerington, OH · Member since 2012 · 230 posts · 139 votes
    8y

    @Erin K.  There are some inner city areas that are going through a lot revitalization and the values are really popping.  Take a look at Franklinton, Southern Orchards, and Old Towne East.  Of course most of the suburbs outside of the outerbelt hold decent value, but you're not seeing the same level of appreciation.  As far as areas to stay away from I'd avoid Hilltop and 43227.

  • Professional · Loudonville, OH · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    Thanks....I was looking at a Hilltop property. LOL  A co-worker of my husband said that Westgate in Hilltop is an area that is being revitalized, but I don't know what his authority for that is.

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Erin K.:

    I saw a post on here a while back with practically a street-by-street rundown by someone familiar with Cleveland ranking the various neighborhoods. Anyone have or seen a list like that for Columbus? We are looking at some properties and I would like to get familiar with the neighborhoods that are up and coming vs. war zones and the in-between affordable ones.  Thanks! 

     Hi Erin! There are some maps available but as I mentioned in a previous post, as up and coming areas are changing rapidly, the best resource is boots on the ground and working with an agent that stays on top of market changes.   Finding a C class area that has the potential to be a B- or B area in several years is one of the key factors in making the most of your investment.  

  • El Cerrito, CA · Member since 2015 · 257 posts · 129 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Robert Ellis:
    Originally posted by @Erin K.:

    I saw a post on here a while back with practically a street-by-street rundown by someone familiar with Cleveland ranking the various neighborhoods. Anyone have or seen a list like that for Columbus? We are looking at some properties and I would like to get familiar with the neighborhoods that are up and coming vs. war zones and the in-between affordable ones.  Thanks! 

     Hi Erin! There are some maps available but as I mentioned in a previous post, as up and coming areas are changing rapidly, the best resource is boots on the ground and working with an agent that stays on top of market changes.   Finding a C class area that has the potential to be a B- or B area in several years is one of the key factors in making the most of your investment.  

     Hey Robert! 

    What do you consider the Westgate area to be? B-? C+?

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    I don't completely believe in the Franklinton revitalization rumors that have been circulating for the past 5-7 years.  I lived in Columbus form '04-'10 and I thought that would be the perfect area for gentrification yet nothing has come to fruition even after I left.  Yet, Victorian Village where I lived has doubled in that time span and Short North looks completely different with all the new development/tear downs.  

    I have had a few local recommendations say not to bother and look to Near Town East (43203) or Eastgate.  Now they don't have much commercial business growth there but most places are undervalued and still have room for appreciation.  Another recommendation is Southern Orchards but they still have a long way to go before you will see any immediate double digit appreciation.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    8y

    @Erin K. I live near wooster! Ya do not see that town pop up much on here!

    anyhow, I do not think you can take ANY ranking that goes street by street 

    as an accurate source of info. People move all of the time. I have bought on great 

    streets and next thing I know, someone moves in on the street and changes the entire culture. 

    I find if you buy on streets with more owner occupants and not a lot of multi units, you can really 

    have a fighting chance of it being ok. 

    I always tell my investors if you REALLY wanna know a street, go on the first of the month on a warm friday evening, you will see what a neighborhood is all about. 

    If someone tries showing you a house on a rainy Sunday morning..... watch out! LOL

    Just my 2 cents. :-) 

  • Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    @Erin K.  Here is a link to another post on neighborhood rankings in Columbus:  https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/577/topics/312730-a-b-c-d-areas-in-columbus-oh

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Fritz Liedtke:

    @Erin K.  Here is a link to another post on neighborhood rankings in Columbus:  https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/577/topics/312730-a-b-c-d-areas-in-columbus-oh

     Great post to bring up, a lot of these change for example OTE is a historic neighborhood that was ranked as C in this. There was just a massive development proposed, Singles are going for $150 a foot, etc which is actually more towards A- I would say now or even B+. Depends on who you ask but lots of young professionals moving to that area, sky high rents ($1000+ for 2 beds). So make sure you are talking with a specialist. Don't go on old information. 

    Another example is Beacon Hill. Not a historic neighborhood or something I've ever heard of. Just I think the wrong market. LOL. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 212 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    https://datausa.io/profile/geo/columbus-oh#economy has an interactive embeddable map of the income level & location.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.