Minneapolis has the lowest vacancy rate in the nation

16 Replies

Minneapolis has lowest vacancy rate in the nation.  Itis usually considered healthy. now stands at 2.1%

Rank Metro Occupancy
1     Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN     97.9%
2     Providence, RI     97.6%
3 (tie)     Detroit, MI     97.1%
3 (tie)     Sacramento, CA     97.1%
5 (tie)     New York, NY     97.0%
5 (tie)     Newark/Jersey City, NJ     97.0%
5 (tie)     San Francisco, CA     97.0%
8     Boston, MA     96.7%
9 (tie)     Milwaukee, WI     96.6%
9 (tie)     San Diego, CA     96.6%
11 (tie)     Los Angeles, CA     96.5%
11 (tie)     Oakland, CA     96.5%

5% is usually considered healthy- Currently at 2.1%

Real page inc.

Will post the link to the article later tonight

@Bruce Runn I like the numbers for Milwaukee.  However in my C/D market the numbers are a bit higher.  But still solid for the returns.

@Tim Swierczek

Here's the direct link

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171004005175/en/

Great occupancy, but rents are squeezing tenants and cap rates are at record lows, so buying for cash flow is really difficult. 

Very interesting to see what I have been expecting.  They note in the report that the Dallas price increases have slowed because of the volume coming on market.

Providence, RI is considered a sanctuary city. The rental occupancy numbers do not surprise me. It has always been a city of multi family homes. However, high property taxes, increased values, and high insurance rates associated with the city due to a high crime and violent crime rate have crunched cash flow for some newer investors entering the market from what I have seen.

I believe it will always have a rental base comprised primarily of subsidized housing tenants. One neighborhood in the city does cater to professionals, and another to students, but the bulk of Providence will remain subsidized with the current and foreseeable politics associated with the city.

San Diego 9th in occupancy and 5th on rent appreciation.  It is good to be a landlord in San Diego.  

@Todd Dexheimer

We're still finding deals.  We've found we just have dig deeper.  Closing on my 6th and 7th properties of the year this month.  I anticipate that the market will remain strong as I'll put at least 3 of them back up for sale after a year and a day so next May will be a sell month for me.  

@Bruce Runn what types of properties are you buying? I am looking for 30+ unit buildings, but not getting anything attractive looking. 

I know Portland Oregon has about zero vacancy rate  any rental put on craigs list gets 50 calls in a day.. and there is little to no subsidized housing.. all market rents with very high fico's generally.. but I have heard that higher end apartments are weakening..

@Todd Dexheimer

I only deal with 2-4 unit properties since the profit formula/COC return is substantially better than commercial sized buildings and the resale is much easier so we are dealing in completely different markets, I've sold 3 of them this year and the last one went for $10,000 more than asking in 1 day.

This would be for A class properties but B and C class can't be that far behind. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.