How much do you pay for Landlord Insurance?

6 Replies

Hello,

I just received a Landlord Insurance quote from Liberty Mutual for $2,707. Does this seem high?

Background:  

2-Family Built in 1896

Located in Cincinnati Ohio

Updated Plumbing and Electrical

I will not be owner-occupying the property

What insurance companies should I try next and what questions should I be asking?

Thank you,

Jordan

That seems high for location...I pm’d u who I and some other investors use/suggest.

Nvm can Message u. Message me

Originally posted by @Jordan Bochner :

Hello,

I just received a Landlord Insurance quote from Liberty Mutual for $2,707. Does this seem high?

Background:  

2-Family Built in 1896

Located in Cincinnati Ohio

Updated Plumbing and Electrical

I will not be owner-occupying the property

What insurance companies should I try next and what questions should I be asking?

Thank you,

Jordan

Built in 1896 is your kicker there, that'll be way more expensive to insure. 

Often when I'm saying to myself "man, that policy looks crazy expensive, this person needs to talk to my go-to for insurance!" I check the date it was built and then go "oh, well there it is, >100 year old home, never mind then."

$225/mo is on the high end, but not for a >100 year old home.

Incidentally, assuming this isn't a cash purchase, bring this to your lender's attention ASAP if you're close to the ceiling of what you were preapproved for. Make sure they left enough wiggle room in there to absorb a higher than expected insurance premium (differences in "how much wiggle room" are why three lenders may preapprove you for three different amounts). Insurance being $125/mo more than expected is about $25k in purchase price worth of DTI movement.

@Jordan Bochner 1st, depends on how much building coverage you are buying.  For $100,000, $2,700 is very high, for $500,000 it's a fair price.

Also, Replacement cost on an 1896 building will be double what an Actual Cash Value policy will be.  It's up to your risk tolerance if you feel comfortable taking the extra risk for the premium savings.

Most of my single family homes worth about 100k with 2 mil liability cost about 600 per year or 50 per month. I have State Farm

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here