Land investing around Seattle/Portland and Salem.

3 Replies

Hi Everyone ..

My name is Justin and I am looking to purchase some raw land perhaps in the path of growth of Seattle,Portland and or the Salem markets.I may also be interested in purchasing a little further out from the path of growth if it is a area that people in these major metro areas are interested in retreating to.Can anyone suggest some cities/counties that is in the direct path of growth of one of these major metro areas or that is a place that is known to be desirable for people living inside of one of these areas. 
I am in the process of selecting a new market to send letters too and  really like the pacific northwest. 

Thanks ! 

Hello @Justin Harris , I am a real estate broker in Portland, OR and the metro area is certainly growing. Although it is not necessarily in the outlying area the city of Gresham is growing rapidly. Property values there are increasing significantly because it is one of the least expensive parts of the metro area and people are flocking to that city to escape the high prices elsewhere. If you are looking for retreat like settings Mt Hood National Forest is a short hour trip away and I know many people in Portland that have a vacation home there. Sandy, Troutdale, and Eagle Creek are also great options on the east side. They are close enough in that they will experience tremendous growth as the population continues to increase. Let me know if you need any additional help or if you want me to help you find land in Oregon. I also know a few great agents in Washington and California that I can connect you with if you are interested. 

Originally posted by @Jacob Wathen :

Hello @Justin Harris , I am a real estate broker in Portland, OR and the metro area is certainly growing. Although it is not necessarily in the outlying area the city of Gresham is growing rapidly. Property values there are increasing significantly because it is one of the least expensive parts of the metro area and people are flocking to that city to escape the high prices elsewhere. If you are looking for retreat like settings Mt Hood National Forest is a short hour trip away and I know many people in Portland that have a vacation home there. Sandy, Troutdale, and Eagle Creek are also great options on the east side. They are close enough in that they will experience tremendous growth as the population continues to increase. Let me know if you need any additional help or if you want me to help you find land in Oregon. I also know a few great agents in Washington and California that I can connect you with if you are interested. 

What he said.  I bought a triplex in Gresham in December of last year and it has already appreciated 40-50k.  

I can recommend a few.  Kenmore is in the process of major redevelopment and is a suburb just north of Seattle.  See http://www.kenmorewa.gov/lakepointe .  The entire waterfront area (which is now industrial) is currently under feasibility to become developed with shops, restaurants and high-end residential etc.  Investing within proximity would be worth looking into.  As far as timeline, my Councilman neighbor suggested 5 years until they start digging and 10 years before we will be able to enjoy the new waterfront village.  

The City of Everett is also in the process of redevelopment.  http://www.portofeverett.com/real-estate/developme... In relation to Seattle or even Kenmore/Bothell, prices are still cheap in Everett.

If you're thinking urban Seattle, I'd look into anything close to the Light Rail stations that are slated to be built.  Some examples of areas to the North that haven't been completely exploited are Nortgate, Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace and of course Everett to the way North.  To the South, I'm a big fan of Burien as private development is in the beginnings of a boom down there.

Feel free to reach out if you want more info about the Seattle area.  I've lived here for over 30 years, and specialize in working with investors and developers in the area.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.