Convert a Mix Use to a Condo

3 Replies

Hello,

I am looking into buying a mixed Use building, can I convert it into condo units? also, what are the possibilities for me to build a few more floors ( I have another 15,000 Buildable) but the building is a landmark.

Thank you 

Udi

The whole idea of land marking a property is to make sure owners make no changes to the appearance of the property, especially the exterior . Wouldn't adding a few floors change the exterior appearance of the property?

That is correct. But I know that people were able to change the front with landmark approvals. Also the idea is to keep the existing building as is and add floors.

Originally posted by @Udi Vaknin :

That is correct. But I know that people were able to change the front with landmark approvals. Also the idea is to keep the existing building as is and add floors.

Yes. Grand Central Station on 42nd St midtown is landmarked, and they added more than a few floors on top with the Pan Am building, now the called Metlife Building. They kept the existing building and added floors. 

But as with these issues, opponents come out of the woodwork to oppose it as I recall from the Grand Central Station episode. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.