Meth use in a house I may be interested in

2 Replies

One of the houses I'm looking at came back positive for meth use.  (3.5 / 100 cm2)  3.5 x the limit for normal so not likely a lab but it must have been a user in it. Is this a deal breaker. The clean up will likely be $5K -$7.5K, plus new carpets and HVAC, so the house will be better off when we are done. How much of a discount would persuade you to look at the deal or is it a hard no?  

As I investigate, estimates are 10% of houses sold have greater than the limit of 1 / 100cm2, and as high as 40% of all rentals nationwide have borderline or higher traces of Meth in them. Should it be a test for all houses sold (It can be in spendy houses as well as slums!)  

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/former-...

Thoughts? 

@Joel Brown   It is relatively easily cleaned up.  I am starting to be much more worried about fentanyl.  If I found out one of my properties had been used by a fentanyl dealer I would probably have it bulldozed by a hazmat crew.

I got a hard estimate for 3000 square feet, fortunately it doesn't have flex ducts do they can be scrubbed and mitigated along with every square inch of the house. Carpet and pad and drapes etc all has to go. They came and checked it out and quoted me $9k including carpet removal. Will cost additional to refloor.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here